via press release:
EXCITING “EVA LUNA” FINALE REACHES 9.7 MILLION VIEWERS, RANKS AS ONE OF TOP 10 NOVELA FINALES OF ALL TIME AND THE HIGHEST-RATED DOMESTICALLY PRODUCED NOVELA IN HISTORY
UNIVISION #3 BROADCAST NETWORK, BEATING CBS AND NBC AMONG ADULTS 18-49
Univision Stations Ranked #1 in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston and Sacramento with Adults 18-49
MIAMI, FL, APRIL 12, 2011 – Last night on the Univision Network, 9.7 million viewers watched some or all of the grand finale of Univision Studios’ first novela production “Eva Luna,” to bear witness to one of the two most-anticipated weddings of the month. Thenovela’s two-hour conclusion, watched by an average audience of 6.9 million total viewers and followed by a special episode of “Don Francisco Presenta” featuring the program’s all-star cast, led Univision to a third-place finish among all broadcast networks during the entire night among Adults 18-49 – besting CBS, NBC and CW. Additionally, Univision was the #2 Broadcast Network, behind only ABC, for the entire night among Adults 18-34, and Persons 12-34.
The highest-rated domestically produced novela in history, the finale of “Eva Luna” ranks as one of Univision’s top ten novela finales of all time. It also was the fourth most-watched program on all of broadcast television on Monday night among Adults 18-49, and was the #3 program among Adults 18-34. While they gathered in front of their televisions, fans also took to the web in droves to discuss the episode, resulting in “Eva Luna” becoming a trending topic on Twitter.
“It is quite satisfying for Univision Studios’ first dramatic production to have been so successful, and we are proud to have worked withVenevision to create such a buzzworthy novela that not only achieved such great ratings last night, but also showed consistent audience growth since its November premiere,” said Luis Fernandez, president of Univision Entertainment. “The success of Eva Luna speaks to the opportunity to continue to build from our programming strategy that includes original productions.”
A Venevision production in collaboration with Univision Studios, “Eva Luna” revolves around the life of Eva González (Blanca Soto), a strikingly beautiful but humble and enterprising young woman. Like so many immigrants who come to the U.S., Eva arrives with her father and younger sister to California in search of a better life. However, little does Eva know that in order to find happiness she will first have to suffer tremendous loss, as her life is intertwined with dark family secrets, lies, deception and the unstoppable ambition of one family. Also starring heartthrob Guy Ecker, Julian Gil, Vanessa Villela and Susana Dosamantes, among others, “Eva Luna” – produced withVenevision International – was available with English subtitles via closed captioning on CC3, and full episodes can be viewed atwww.novelasyseries.com.
Additional National Ratings Highlights
Last night’s “Eva Luna” finale:
- Was the highest-rated telecast in the novela’s full-run among all key demographics, including Total Viewers 2+ (6.9 million), Adults 18-49 (3.5 million), Adults 18-34 (1.9 million) and Persons 12-34 (2.4 million).
- Drove Univision Network, during the 8 to 10pm time period, to the following rankings among all broadcast networks:
- #1 among Men 18-34
- #2, behind only ABC, among Adults 18-49, Women 18-49, Adults 18-34, Women 18-34, Persons 12-34 and and Teens 12-17
- #3 among Men 18-49, ahead of CBS, NBC and CW
- #4 among Total Viewers 2+, ahead of NBC and CW
- Grew its audience across every half hour during the two-hour finale among ALL key demographics, including Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34.
- The last half hour peaked at 7.5 million Total Viewers 2+, 3.9 million Adults 18-49, 2.1 million Adults 18-34 and 2.6 million Persons 12-34.
- Significant audience growth in the last half hour compared to the first half hour across all key demographics, including Total Viewers 2+ (+28%), Adults 18-49 (+32%), Adults 18-34 (+30%) and Persons 12-34 (+31%).
- Delivered more Adults 18-49 than CBS’ “ ,” “ ” and “Mike & ;” NBC’s “Chuck” and “ : Los Angeles” and FOX’s “The .”
- Delivered more Persons 12-34 and Adults 18-34 than first-run episodes of ABC’s “ ;” CBS’ “ ,” “ ,” “Mike & ” and “ ;” NBC’s “Chuck” and “ : Los Angeles” and FOX’s “The .”
- Ranks among the Top 10 primetime novela finales of all-time on the Univision Network among Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49.
The one-hour of “Don Francisco Presenta” at 10pm:
- Averaged 4.4 million Total Viewers 2+, 2.3 million Adults 18-49, 1.2 million Adults 18-34 and 1.5 million Persons 12-34.
- Made Univision the #2 broadcast network, behind ABC, in the hour among Adults 18-34, Men 18-34 and Persons 12-34 and #3 ranking among Adults 18-49, beating NBC.
- Highest-ranked telecast in the current 2010/2011 Season among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34.
Source: The Nielsen Company, NPM Monday, 04/11/2011 8pm-11pm. Univision’s “Eva Luna” grand finale aired from 8pm-10pm and based on Fast National Ratings. English-language broadcast networks based on Fast Affiliate Ratings from 8pm-11pm. Reach based on NPM Fast Cume for Total Viewers 2+, 6+ minute qualified audience (visitors included), Live+SD. Top-ranked novela finale of all-time based on NHPM (10/26/1992-12/25/2005) and NPM (12/26/2005-04/11/2011). Live+SD.
During the finale of “Eva Luna” the Univision station in Houston had higher viewership that ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX combined among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34.
The Univision station in Los Angeles had higher viewership than ABC, CBS and NBC combined during the finale of “Eva Luna” among Adults 18-34; and Univision stations in Los Angeles and San Francisco both had higher viewership than ABC, CBS and NBC combinedamong Persons 12-34.
During the finale of “Eva Luna” Univision was the #1 station in the time period (8pm-10:15pm) in the following markets:
- Among Viewers 2+ in Houston
- Among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston and Sacramento
- Among Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Miami (tie), Houston, , Phoenix, San Francisco and Sacramento (tie)
- Among Adults 12-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, , Phoenix, San Francisco and Sacramento
Additionally, the finale of “Eva Luna” was the #1 broadcast primetime program in the following markets:
- Among Viewers 2+ in Houston
- Among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles and Houston
- Among Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, , and Phoenix
- Among Person 12-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, , Phoenix and San Francisco
Source: The Nielsen Company, NSI Ratings (4/11/2011). Grand finale of “Eva Luna” aired 8pm-10:15pm E/PT, 7pm-9:15pm Central. Primetime is defined as ABC/CBS/NBC/IND/SLTV Mon 8-11pm (7-10pm CT) and FOX/CW Mon 8-10pm (7-9pm CT). Live+SD.