Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows by the end of the 2010-11 season in May, 2011. (includes results from January 3 - April 10, 2011):
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|The Whole Truth||cancelled|
|No Ordinary Family||0.62|
|Off The Map||0.70|
|Brothers & Sisters||0.82|
|Better With You||0.84|
|Body Of Proof||1.05|
It's been six weeks since we've seen a new episode of ABC's freshman sitcom . It returns with a new episode this Wednesday.
Doesstill have a chance at a renewal?
Perhaps a very tiny one, but two things need to happen to save it, and together they may be a double bank shot into the side pocket:
- 's adults 18-49 ratings need to recover to over a 2.0. It finished its early spring run with a 1.7 . That's not going to cut it.
- ABC needs to add more comedy time to its schedule next Fall. Paul Lee has publicly stated he'd like to do that, and ABC's woeful record with new dramas would seem to tilt them in that direction, but that's still a fairly big change for the network.
ABC's last rookie drama hope of the season,premiered well with a 3.1 adults 18-49 rating, but fell to a 2.0 rating following on the following Sunday before recovering to a 2.4 rating last week. That's still good enough for renewal on the drama challenged ABC, but as usual, the third week of a new show's ratings is the most useful for determining future ratings trends. Stay tuned.
Brothers & Sisters is still hanging on to the bottom of the "toss up" range between renewal and cancellation. ABC's newstill looks like a toss up for renewal. Even off the air, V continues to edge closer to the "toss up" range as the rest of ABC's scripted show ratings slide.
, and are certain to be cancelled at the end of the season.
I'd expect the apocalypse before I'd expectto not be renewed.
- - certain to be cancelled by May, 2011
- - more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2011
- - toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2011
- - more likely to be renewed than cancelled by May, 2011
- - certain to be renewed by May, 2011
The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show's new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It's calculated by dividing a show's new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 average rating by the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show's own network. The network's average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
How would the Renew / Cancel Index Have Done Predicting Last Season's Scripted Show Fates? While the methods used have changed slightly from past seasons check out how the Renew / Cancel Index would have predicted renewals and cancellations from the 2009-10 broadcast television season.