Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows by the end of the 2010-11 season in May, 2011. (includes results from January 3 - April 24, 2011):
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|The Defenders (F)||0.46|
|The Defenders (Wed only)||0.54|
|Blue Bloods (F)||0.60|
|Blue Bloods (Wed)||0.70|
|The Good Wife||0.75|
|Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior||0.89|
|$#*! My Dad Says||0.98|
|Rules of Engagement||1.03|
|Mike & Molly||1.17|
|How I Met Your Mother||renewed||1.21|
|NCIS: Los Angeles||1.25|
|Big Bang Theory||renewed||1.43|
|Two And A Half Men||renewed*||1.61|
CBS remains likely to send two of its current dramas in front of its Spring firing squad so that it can premiere its typical three new drama hours next Fall.
Arguments for pardons or execution can be made for each of them.
- :NY - already syndicated. Likely relatively expensive.
- : Miami - highest rated of the marginal dramas, already syndicated, plus sunglasses. Likely relatively expensive.
- The - awards, not to mention....awards, plus the news that show principals are being locked into multi-year deals. Worst rated CBS scripted Sunday-Thursday show.
- - Tom Selleck, and fans who'll mention it draws a squinty jillion average viewers at 10pm on Friday no less! Worst rated scripted show still on CBS.
- : - It's a spinoff, and CBS loves them their spin offs! It's a procedural, and CBS loves them their procedurals! Have ratings found their floor yet?
The only hope for the marginal CBS sitcomsand $#*! is that the trouble removes the show from next season's line up. I'd guess that as highly unlikely, but there's at least some uncertainty.
*TAAHM received a two year renewal last season, through spring 2012. With the Charlie Sheen firing, the future of the show is at least somewhat uncertain.
- - certain to be cancelled by May, 2011
- :cry:- more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2011
- - toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2011
- - more likely to be renewed than cancelled by May, 2011
- - certain to be renewed by May, 2011
The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show's new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It's calculated by dividing a show's new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 averageby the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show's own network. The network's average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
How would the Renew / Cancel Index Have Done Predicting Last Season's Scripted Show Fates? While the methods used have changed slightly from past seasons check out how the Renew / Cancel Index would have predicted renewals and cancellations from the 2009-10 broadcast television season.