via press release:
ABC Wins First Monday of the May Sweep Viewers and Adults 18-49, Ranking As the Most-Watched Net on the Opening Monday for the 5th Straight Year
Standing as Monday’s No. 1 Program in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, “DWTS” Leads All 4 of its Half-hours and Posts Increases Over its Year-Ago Performance
Ranking No. 1 at 10pm for 5th Time in its Last 6 Originals, ABC’s “Castle” Bests
CBS’ “Hawaii Five-0” by Best-Ever Margins in Viewers and Young Adults
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
With “Dancing with the Stars” and “Castle,” ABC towered over the first Monday of the May Sweep, more than doubling runner-up CBS in Total Viewers (18.0 million vs. 7.8 million) and leading by 63% in Adults 18-49 (3.9/10 vs. 2.4/6). In fact the Net beat its rivals in all 6 half-hours of the night in viewers and young adults. ABC ran as Monday’s most-watched TV net for the 8th week running and won the evening in Adults 18-49 for the 7th time in 8 weeks. In addition, it was ABC’s 5th straight year to finish as the most-watched network on the opening Monday night of the May Sweep - starting in May 2007.
- Up for the 2nd straight week, ABC’s Monday numbers jumped by double-digit percentages over the prior week in both Total Viewers (+15% - 18.0 million vs. 15.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (+18% - 3.9/10 vs. 3.3/9).
- ABC was also up sharply from the same night last year, gaining nearly 3.0 million viewers and 18% with young adults (15.1 million and 3.3/9 on 5/3/10).
“Dancing with the Stars” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” won each of its half-hours in viewers and young adults to earn first place in its time slot for the 7th week running. ABC’s “DWTS” once again registered as Monday’s No. 1 TV show in Total Viewers (20.9 million – 7th week in a row) and Adults 18-49 (4.4/12 – 6th time in 7 weeks).
- “DWTS” rose over the same night last year by 7% in Total Viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49 (19.6 million & 4.1/12 on 5/3/10).
- On average, Season 12 of “DWTS” is up over the same point in Season 11 by 1.2 million viewers (22.4 million vs. 21.2 million) and by 6% in Adults 18-49 (5.0/14 vs. 4.7/11). In fact “DWTS” is producing the franchise’s most-watched season ever.
“Castle” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “Castle” won the 10 o’clock hour, beating CBS’ original “Hawaii Five-0” by its best-ever margins in Total Viewers (+2.8 million viewers – 12.2 million vs. 9.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (+21% - 2.9/7 vs. 2.4/6). In fact on both measures, “Castle” was the No. 1 TV series in its time period for 5th time in its last 6 original telecasts. In addition, “Castle” more than doubled the numbers of NBC’s original “Law & Order: Los Angeles” (4.8 million and 1.4/4) in viewers (+154%) and young adults (+107%). For its 5th consecutive original broadcast, ABC’s “Castle” stood as Monday’s most-watched scripted series.
- Versus the year-ago night, the ABC drama was up by 1.5 million viewers and 16% in Adults 18-49 (10.7 million and 2.5/7).
- On average, ABC’s “Castle” is enjoying its strongest season ever, building on its performance at the same point last year in both Total Viewers (+6% - 11.1 million vs. 10.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (+4% - 2.9/8 vs. 2.8/7).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 40% currently, from 36% at the same point in 2010.
More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 5/2/11.