ABC’s ‘Castle’ Finale Hits a 14-Month High/DWTS Marks Most-Watched Season Ever
(yes, I know this picture is from last week, didn’t want any of the anti-spoiler zealots freaking out though)
via press notes:
Featuring the semi-finals of DWTS and the 3rd-season finale of Castle, ABC towered over its competitors for the 3rd straight Monday of the 2011 May Sweep, more than doubling runner-up CBS with its season finales in Total Viewers and outrunning second-place Fox by 52% in Adults 18-49. For the 2nd week in a row, the Net defeated its broadcast competition in all 6 half-hours of the night with viewers and young adults. In fact, ABC stood as Monday’s most-watched television network for the 10th week in a row and delivered the #1 position on the evening in Adults 18-49 for the 9th time in 10 weeks.
- In Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, ABC generated its best Monday results in 7 weeks – since 3/28/11.
- For the 3rd straight Monday, the Net substantially improved its year-to-year May Sweep returns, surging by 4.4 million viewers and by 28% with young adults over the same night a year ago (5/17/10).
Building week to week in viewers (+3%) and young adults (+7%), ABC’s Dancing with the Stars once again won each of its half-hours in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 finish #1 in its time period for the 9th time in as many weeks. The ABC dancing performance program continued to register as Monday’s #1 TV show in Total Viewers (9 of 9 telecasts) and Adults 18-49 (8 of 9 telecasts).
- DWTS built over the same night last year by 2.4 million viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49. On average, Season 12 of DWTS is up over the same point in Season 11 by 1.1 million viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49, standing as the franchise’s most-watched-ever season overall.
Hitting season-highs, ABC’s 3rd-season closer of Castle won the 10 o’clock hour, dominating CBS’ season finale of Hawaii Five-0 by 3.4 million viewers and by 32% in Adults 18-49, as the ABC drama won in their 5th straight head-to-head original matchup. In addition, on both counts Castle was the #1 TV series in its time period for 7th time in its past 8 original airings. On each of its final 7 first-run broadcast this season, ABC’s Castle finished as Monday’s most-watched scripted TV program.
- Building its viewer and young adult numbers for the 3rd week in a row, Castle scored its best results in nearly 14 months (since 3/29/10, with the conclusion of a high-rated 2-part episode), qualifying as the series’ 2nd-highest numbers ever.
- Posting its strongest finale ever, Castle was up sharply over its year-ago season closer in Total Viewers (+3.1 million) and Adults 18-49 (+38%). In fact ABC’s Castle marked its strongest season ever, building over its sophomore season averages in both Total Viewers (+8%) and Adults 18-49 (+4%).