via press release:
ABC Stands as Tuesday’s 2nd-Most-Watched Net, Building Week to Week
And Growing Over the Year-Ago Evening for the 9th Consecutive Week
From 8-9pm Against the Season Finale of CBS’ “,” “DWTS Freestyle Special” Tops “ ” and “Loser,” Delivering the Net’s 2nd-Largest Audience This Season
Up for the 2nd Week in a Row, ABC’s “DWTS Results” Wins the 9pm Hour in
Viewers and Young Adults, Scoring Double-Digit Percentage Year-to-Year Gains
Growing Against the Season Finale of CBS’ “The,” ABC’s “ ”
Draws its Largest Audience in 3 Weeks and its Top Adult 18-49 Number in 4 Weeks
TV’s Most-Watched New Series of the 2010-11 Season, “” Attracts
A Larger Audience than NBC’s “” Head to Head in the 10pm Hour
Tuesday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC (13.9 million) ranked as the 2nd-most-watched network on Tuesday to CBS with its season finale lineup, outdrawing NBC by 5.9 million viewers (8.0 million) and Fox by 7.3 million viewers (6.6 million). The Net also earned second place on Tuesday with Adults 25-54 and Women 18-49, while ranking No. 1 with Women 25-54.
- Rising on the evening for the 2nd week in a row, the Net improved its Tuesday numbers week to week by 7% in Total Viewers (13.9 million vs. 13.0 million) and 8% in Adults 18-49 (2.7/7 vs. 2.5/7).
- Building over the same night last May (9.8 million on 5/18/10) by 4.1 million viewers, ABC grew its overall Tuesday audience year to year for the 9th week running.
“ – TUE 8PM” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Increasing ABC’s numbers in the 8:00 p.m. hour week to week against CBS’ season finale of “,” ABC’s “ Live: Freestyle Special” (13.4 million) topped Fox’s “ ” by 4.6 million viewers (8.8 million) and the opening hour of NBC’s 2-hour “The : Couples” by 7.0 million viewers (6.4 million).
- With the special, ABC drew its biggest audience in the hour since the beginning of November, representing its 2nd-largest audience in the time slot this season – since 11/2/10.
“DWTS Results Show” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Opposite all-original competition in the 9 o’clock hour, ABC’s “DWTS Results Show” finished a definitive No. 1 for the 2nd week in a row, defeating the season finale of CBS’ “ : LA” by 2.3 million viewers (17.7 million vs. 15.4 million) and by 9% in Adults 18-49 (3.5/9 vs. 3.2/8). It was the most-watched television show in its hour for the 8th week running. The broad-appealing ABC unscripted series also delivered the No. 1 position in the hour with Adults 25-54 and Women 18-49,
and stood as the top-rated broadcast program in its slot with Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11. The ABC dancing results program registered as Tuesday’s 2nd-most-watched TV show overall (behind only CBS’ “ ” finale). Also worth noting, “DWTS Results Show” tied Fox’s “ ” on the night in the key Adult 18-49 sales demo (3.5/10). Actor Ralph Macchio was the eighth celebrity dancer to be eliminated from the competition this season.
- In viewers and young adults, “DWTS Results Show” was up week to week for the 2nd consecutive Tuesday.
- On average this season, ABC’s “DWTS Results Show” is growing by double-digit percentages from the same point a year ago in viewers (+29% - 17.6 million vs. 13.6 million) and young adults (+29% - 3.6/9 vs. 2.8/8).
“” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Despite facing the season finale of CBS’ “The built its numbers week to week in both Total Viewers (+4% - 10.5 million vs. 10.1 million) and Adults 18-49 (+5% - 2.2/5 vs. 2.1/5). In fact the ABC drama attracted its largest audience in 3 weeks and equaled its top young adult number in 4 weeks – since 4/26/11 and 4/19/11, respectively.” and NBC’s “ ” in the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s freshman “ ”
- TV’s most-watched freshman series this season, ABC’s “ ” outdrew NBC’s “ ” in the hour (+6% - 10.5 million vs. 9.9 million).
- “Body of Proof” continued to improve its hour year over year, bettering an original “V” (5.5 million and 2.1/6) on the same night last year coming out of “Lost” by 5.0 million viewers and by 5% in Adults 18-49. On average, “Body of Proof” qualifies as ABC’s most-watched series in the hour in 10 years - since the 8th season of “NYPD Blue in 2001.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-yearcomparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 41% currently, from 36% at the same point in 2010. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 5/17/11.