Univision To Finish 2010-2011 Broadcast Season As The Only Top 5 Broadcast Network With Audience Growth In Primetime
via press release:
UNIVISION TO FINISH 2010-2011 BROADCAST SEASON AS THE ONLY TOP 5 BROADCAST NETWORK WITH AUDIENCE GROWTH IN PRIMETIME
Univision up + 8 percent among Adults 18-49 while ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC Primetime Audience Down an Average of 9 percent vs. 2009-2010 Season
MIAMI, FL – MAY 26, 2011 – Powered by a strong mix of hit novelas – including the most-watched Spanish-language novela in U.S. television history and Univision Studios’ first original primetime novela – exciting reality series, award shows and other popular programming, Univision Network is set to finish the 2010-2011 broadcast season as the fastest-growing major broadcast network, regardless of language, among Adults 18-49.
In fact, Univision has grown its Adult 18-49 primetime audience by 8 percent while the other major broadcast networks – ABC (-9 percent), CBS (-8 percent), FOX (-4 percent) and NBC (-14 percent) – have seen their primetime audience decline an average of 9 percent compared to last season.
Additionally, Univision’s primetime audience was higher than NBC on two out of every three nights (66 percent) during the 2010/2011 broadcast season versus the comparable period in the 2009/2010 broadcast season among Adults 18-34, and on more than 40 percent of the nights among Adults 18-49.
“Univision’s programming strategy continues to deliver higher audience levels in primetime, further establishing the popularity of our content and boosting our competitiveness vs. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox,” said Cesar Conde, president of Univision Networks. “We look forward to continued momentum this summer as we present more exclusive content and first-run programming.”
Univision was the #1 network on Friday nights among young Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34 during broadcast primetime (8-11pm) for the fourth consecutive broadcast season, and has occupied the #1 broadcast network ranking on more nights in the 2010-2011 broadcast season versus the comparable period in 2009-2010, during broadcast primetime among Adults 18-34 (43 nights vs. 32 nights) and Adults 18-49 (16 nights vs. 5 nights). Additionally, a staggering 96 percent of Univision’s primetime viewers watch live – i.e., commercial messages are not fast-forwarded and therefore have more impact – and its viewers have a primetime median age of 37, making it one of the youngest broadcast networks in U.S. media.
Additional Univision Network 2010-2011 Broadcast Season Highlights:
- Set to finish with an average audience of 3.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.9 million Adults 18-49, 1.1 million Adults 18-34 and 1.3 million Persons 12-34 during broadcast primetime.
- Out-performed at least one or more of the English-language networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on five out of every six nights (85 percent) and on nearly three out of every five nights among Adults 18-49 (59 percent).
- Univision’s “Sabado Gigante” (Giant Saturday) drew a bigger audience on Saturday night in the 2010/2011 broadcast season among Adults 18-34 (+7 percent to 560,000), Adults 18-49 (+4 percent to 1.1 million) and Persons 12-34 (+3 percent to 660,000) compared to the same period in the 2009/2010 broadcast season.
- “Soy Tu Dueña” (Woman of Steel) ended its run on December 27, 2010 on the Univision Network to become the most-watched Spanish-language novela in U.S. television history, with a reach of 9.0 million Total Viewers 2+ (Hispanic and Non-Hispanic) and ranked among the Top 5 novela finales of all-time on the Univision Network across all Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49.
- The two-hour broadcast of the grand finale (April 11, 2011) of “Eva Luna,” Univision Studios’ first novela production, in collaboration with Venevision, reached 9.1 million Total Viewers 2+ and ranked among the Top 10 novela finales of all-time on the Univision Network across all Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49.
- The three-hour finale of “Mira Quien Baila” (Look Who’s Dancing) on November 21, 2010 averaged 5.1 million Total Viewers 2+, making it the highest-rated Univision-produced reality show of all-time.
- “Nuestra Belleza Latina’s” (Our Latin Beauty) May 22, 2011 fifth season finale was the most-watched season finale in the show’s history with 4.9 million Total Viewers 2+ (up 23 percent from last season’s finale), and averaged 2.5 million Adults 18-49 (+18 percent), 1.4 million Adults 18-34 (+14 percent) and 1.7 million Persons 12-34 (+12 percent).
- Univision’s 23rd Annual “Premio Lo Nuestro” awards show on February 17, 2011 reached 10.5 million Total Viewers 2+ and attracted more Hispanic Adult 18-49 and Adult 18-34 viewers than the combined audiences of the latest editions of the Oscars, Golden Globe® Awards and the Primetime Emmys®.
- Univision’s 11th Annual Latin GRAMMY® Awards on November 11, 2010 delivered a record performance with 6.2 million Total Viewers 2+ and made Univision the #1 network among all Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34 on this night. Additionally, the “Latin GRAMMY® Awards” averaged more Hispanic Adult 18-49 and Adult 18-34 viewers than the combined audiences of the latest editions of the Oscars, Golden Globe Awards and the Primetime Emmys.
Source: The Nielsen Company. NPM (09/20/2010-05/24/2011) vs. (09/21/2009-05/25/2010), Most Current, Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm & Sun 7pm-11pm., Friday night based on 8pm-11pm. Highest primetime year over year audience growth based on Adults 18-49 (000) among Univision, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW. Percent Live data based on Adults 18-49. Top novelafinale of all time based on NHPM (10/26/1992-12/25/2005) and NPM (12/26/2005-04/11/2011). English-language award show airings: The Academy Awards (02/27/2011), Golden Globes (01/16/2011) and The Emmy Awards (08/29/2010). Reach based on Persons 2+, 6+ minute qualified audience.