ABC’s ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ Sees its Most-Watched Ever May
via press note:
Week of May 23, 2011
During the week of May 23, 2011, which included the final 3 nights of the season leading into the Memorial Day weekend, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live was up week to week by 10% in Total Viewers, by 5% in Adults 18-34 and by 2% in Adults 18-49. Standing as the only late-night entertainment broadcast program to build its Adult 18-49 numbers over the prior week, JKL attracted its largest young adult audience in 5 weeks – since w/o 4/18/11. In addition, JKL also posted the largest weekly increase of any late-night entertainment broadcast program in Total Viewers.
- ABC’s JKL saw double-digit advantages over NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon in Total Viewers (+15%), marking the ABC’s late-night program’s 3rd win in 4 weeks over the NBC late-night program.
- ABC’s JKL topped CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson by a season-best margin of 25% in Total Viewers to score its 11th consecutive win over Ferguson. JKL beat Ferguson by 16% in Adults 18-34 and by 9% in Adults 18-49, leading the CBS late-night program in 4 of 5 nights of the week in both key Adults demos. In fact, an encore telecast of JKL on Friday edged out an original telecast of Ferguson in Adults 18-49 and bested the CBS program by an impressive 34% in Adults 18-34.
- With its 9th win in 10 weeks, ABC’s JKL bested TBS’ Conan by a solid 34% in Adults 18-49.
- JKL’s Tuesday telecast (5/24/11), which featured Taylor Lautner, Dancing with the Stars winners Hines Ward and Kim Johnson and musical guest Britney Spears, was the ABC late-night program’s most-watched telecast on any night in late-night in 1 year – since 5/25/10. In fact, the Tuesday telecast attracted JKL’s third-largest audience ever in late night. In addition, Tuesday’s telecast was JKL’s 2nd-best of the season in Adults 18-49.
2011 May Sweep
During the recently completed 2011 May Sweep, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live grew 4% over the year-ago Sweep in Total Viewers to attract itslargest overall audience ever for a May Sweep. In addition, JKL was up 3% year to year in Adults 18-49, qualifying as the only late-night entertainment broadcast program to see increases over the year-ago Sweep.
Growing its overall audience year to year for the 5th Sweep period in a row, JKL gained 12% over the 2011 February Sweep in Total Viewers,turning in its most-watched Sweep period since November 2008.
- ABC’s JKL drew a larger overall audience than NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (+6%), marking its 2nd May in a row to beat the NBC late-night program.
- For the 2nd time in the last 3 Sweep periods, ABC’s JKL beat CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in Total Viewers (+8%). In addition, JKL outperformed Ferguson among Adults 18-49 for the third consecutive Sweep.
- ABC’s JKL topped TBS’ Conan by 11% in Adults 18-49.
2010-11 Broadcast Season
During the just completed 2010-11 Broadcast Season, ABC’s JKL was up over last season in Total Viewers (+4%) and Adults 18-49 (+3%),generating its most-watched season in 4 years – since its 2006-07 season.
- In fact, among Adults 18-49, NBC’s Fallon (-3%) and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (-15%) and CBS’ Ferguson (-10%) and The Late Show with David Letterman (-11%) are all down through the comparable weeks last year.