HLN Draws 5.2 Million Viewers at Peak of Casey Anthony Verdict
via press release:
HLN’s coverage peaked during the 2:15p quarter hour (when verdict was read), delivering 5.205M P2+ and 1.894M P25-54.
- Among P2+, HLN beat FNC by +79% (2.913M) and MSNBC by +466% (920k)? Among P25-54, HLN surpassed FNC by +128% (830k) and MSNBC by +542% (295k).
- 2-3 pm, marked HLN’s best performance in ANY HOUR IN HISTORY among P2+ (4.575M).
HLN delivered 2.123M P2+ and 901k P25-54 in prime and was #1 in prime in the demo, topping FNC by +46% (616k) and MSNBC by +236% (268k).
- Tue marked HLN’s best prime performance since 9/11 in P2+ (2.5M) and since March 19, 2003 (Iraq War) among P25-54 (926k).
Nancy Grace delivered 2.888M P2+ and 1.286M P25-54 at 8p, besting FNC’s The O’Reilly Factor by +72% among P25-54 (747k), was BEST EVER for Nancy Grace among both total viewers and P25-54.
Nancy Grace AGAIN at 9p delivered 2.248M P2+ and 909k P25-54 at 9p, and was #1 in its time period, topping FNC’s Hannity by +20% in P2+ (1.878M) and by +68% in P25-54 (540k).
For the week of June 27, HLN ranked as basic cable’s #7 network in total day among both total viewers and Persons 25-54 for the week, besting FOX News Channel in both demos, and ranking #6 among total viewers in prime. Last week marked HLN’s best weekly performance ever among total viewers in prime and total day, and second best week ever among P25-54 in total day (behind only the week of 9/11/01)
By quarter-hour, CNN’s coverage peaked at 2:30p (shortly after the verdict) with 2.330M P2+ and 865k P25-54.
Anderson Cooper 360 won the 10p hour among P25-54 with 618k, topping FNC’s On the Record by +10% (561k).
(* Data based on “Nielsen Fast National”)
HLN digital properties have also experienced significant gains, including:
- Nancy Grace’s Facebook fan page has over 731,000 fans, 46,000 of whom joined in June and 89,000 of whom joined during July 1-6.
- Since the Casey Anthony trial began the fan page has had:
- Over 146,000 new fans
- Over 667,000 total likes and comments
- Daily average of 15,000 likes and comments, which is an increase of 178% vs the daily average from the month of April ’11
- On July 5, there were 12 posts about the Casey Anthony verdict on Nancy Grace’s Facebook fan page, which generated over 92,000 total likes and comments, 497% higher than the daily average during the trial, and more than 1500% higher than the daily average for the month of April ’11.
- The post that generated the highest number of interactions was: “Tot Mom Found Not Guilty of Murder! Tell us what you think” with over 16,000 likes and comments.
(Source: Facebook insights)
- As of July 6, key HLN accounts covering news of the Casey Anthony trial had over 475,000 followers, an increase of 643% from April ’11.
- Below are the follower counts and the % increase over April:
- @HLNTV had 50,400 followers, up 199%
- @NancygraceHLN had 133,900 followers, up 647%
- @Vinniepolitan had 200,900 followers, up 976%
- @insession had over 41,400 followers, up 802%
- @teamnancyhln had 34,400 followers since it launched on May 10th, the account is up 586% since the trial began
- @Ryansmithtv had over 14,500 followers, up 1472%
(Source: Twitter & Twittercounter)
- 68.2 million global page views, up 54% from the prior 4-Tuesday average.
- 9.2 million videos globally, which is three times as high as normal levels
- 2.2 million live streams, a seven-fold increase over the benchmark (During the 2 – 3 p.m. hour when the verdict was announced, there were 1.3 million global live streams, which is 35 times as high as normal levels for that hour). This Just
- 5.1 million domestic page views to CNN’s news blog This Just In, six times higher than the prior 4-Tuesday average.