via press release:
ABC’s Summer Line-up Finishes No. 1 on Thursday in Adults 18-34 and Key Men
Dominating Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance” in the 8 O’clock Hour, ABC’s
“Wipeout” Wins its Slot for the 3rd Week in a Row with Viewers and Young Adults
Opposite Increased Competition from the Season Opener of CBS’ “Big Brother”
“Expedition Impossible” Improves its Hour Year to Year for ABC in Young Adults
Continuing to Score Big Year-Over-Year Gains for ABC in Thursday’s 10pm Hour,
“Rookie Blue” Wins its Time Period for the 3rd Consecutive Week in Adults 18-49
Thursday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
With its new summer Thursday lineup, ABC won the evening among Adults 18-34 (1.4/5), beating CBS (1.3/5) with its season premiere of “Big Brother,” Fox (1.2/4) with “So You Think You Can Dance” and NBC (0.6/2) with an original “Love Bites”. The Net also ranked No. 1 on the night with key Men (M18-34/M18-49) and was the top-rated broadcaster with Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11.
- ABC grew over the same night last year by 8% in Adults 18-34 (1.3/5 on 7/8/10), while retaining 100% of its Adult 18-49 audience (1.7/5).
“Wipeout” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
At 8:00 p.m., ABC’s “Wipeout” won its time period for the 3rd straight week in both Total Viewers (6.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.0/7), beating its unscripted competition on Fox (“So You Think You Can Dance” = 5.4 million and 1.6/6) by 1.2 million viewers and by 25% in young adults.
- The ABC unscripted series increased its overall audience week to week, while hitting its top Men 18-34 (tie) number in the hour in more than 4 months – since 2/24/11.
“Expedition Impossible” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
During the 9 o’clock hour opposite the season premiere of CBS’ veteran “Big Brother,” ABC’s freshman, “Expedition Impossible,” earned second place in viewers (5.5 million) and young adults (1.6/5), while registering as the No. 1 broadcast show with Teens (tie) and Kids. Against the CBS reality premiere, the broad-appealing ABC unscripted series built over the prior week with Men 18-34 (+9%) and Kids 2-11 (+8%).
- Despite facing greater competition in the hour year to year with the season opener of “Big Brother” shifting from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., “Expedition Impossible” boosted its time period for ABC by 7% in Adults 18-49 (1.6/5 vs. 1.5/5) and by 8% in Adults 18-34 (1.3/4 vs. 1.2/4) from the same night last year with original programming.
“Rookie Blue” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “Rookie Blue” took first place in Thursday’s 10 o’clock hour in Adults 18-49 for the 3rd week running, more than doubling NBC’s original “Love Bites” (+114% - 1.5/4 vs. 0.7/2) in key young adult sales demographic. The ABC sophomore drama also finished No. 1 in the hour with Adults 25-54 (1.8/5 - tie).
- “Rookie Blue” was up week to week in both viewers (+4% - 5.7 million vs. 5.5 million) and young adults (+7% - 1.5/4 vs. 1.4/4). In addition, the show equaled a season-high with Adults 18-34.
- “Rookie Blue” substantially improved its time period over the year-ago night with original programming by 16% in Total Viewers and by 36% in Adults 18-49 (“Boston Med” = 4.9 million and 1.1/4).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 41% currently, from 36% at the same point in 2010. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight
next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.