via press release:
USA NETWORK CELEBRATES BIGGEST SUMMER EVER
With a Record Seven Series on the Air and after Successfully Launching Two New Hit Originals,
USA Captures 6th Straight Summer Win
and are Two of Top Three New Cable Shows of the Summer
7 of the Top 10 Basic Cable Scripted Series are on USA
NEW YORK – September 1, 2011 – USA sizzled this summer with more total viewers and households tuning in than any network on cable during any summer ever. With a record seven series on the air and launching two new series, USA delivered +7% more P25-54, +8% more P18-49, +4% P18-34, +8% more total viewers and +8% more households this year over last summer.
USA was also #1 above every cable competitor in delivering P25-54 (1.49 million, +36% over #2 TNT) and P18-49 (1.37 million, +38% over #2 History Channel). No other cable network averaged over 3 million total viewers (3.61 million, +31% over #2 Disney Channel) 2 million households (2.73 million, +42% over #2 TNT) or over 1 million P18-49. USA was the only basic cable network to earn a household coverageover a 2.0 this summer, as well (2.72, +0.79 over #2 Disney Channel).
USA was the house of hits this summer with seven original series each averaging over 2 million in P25-54, 1.5 million in P18-49, half a million in P18-34 and 5 million total viewers and 4 million households. Further, most of these titles have over 2.5 million in P25-54, 2.5 million in P18-49, 1 million in P18-34 and 5.5 million total viewers.
USA’s summer slate of hits easily outshines the mixed performances of originals on either TNT or History Channel, averaging 2.78 million in P25-54, 2.55 million in P18-49, 1.08 million in P18-34, 6.11 million total viewers and 4.57 million households.
- and delivered more households (RP 5.07 million / NR 4.18 million) Wednesday nights this summer than any other original series on cable and was the most watched series for the night in total viewers (6.78 million) with the #2 scripted series for these viewers (5.50MM). No other scripted series on television Wednesdays delivered more P25-54 (3.07 million / 2.48 million) or P18-49 (2.77 million / 2.23 million). was the only scripted series Wednesday nights this summer to deliver over 1 million in P18-34 (1.13 million).
- In the Wednesday 9pm timeslot, when the network aired , USA was second only to NBC in delivering total viewers, M18-49, M25-54, total males, and households, coming in behind only NBC and FOX for P18-49, P25-54, and P18-34.
- grew from its series premiere to its second week in all key demos, a rare feat for a scripted series. When it ran Wednesdays at 10pm this summer, USA was second only to NBC in all of television in P18-49 and P25-54 delivery and second only to CBS for total viewers and households while beating ABC and CBS in P18-34.
- and were the top two scripted series on television Thursdays this summer among P25-54 (BN 3.05 million / 2.78 million), P18-49 (2.80 million / 2.66 million), P18-34 (1.22 million / 1.22 million), total viewers (6.70 million / 5.97 million), and households (4.89 million / 4.48 million). These were the #2 and #3 scripted originals on television this summer in all of television for M18-49 and M25-54.
- made USA the #1 network in its Thursday 9pm timeslot for M18-49, M18-34 and total males, placing second only to CBS in P18-49, P25-54, P18-34, total viewers, households and M25-54.
- made USA the #1 television network in its Thursday 10pm timeslot this summer among P25-54, M18-49, M25-54, and total males, coming in second only to MTV in P18-49 and P18-34 delivery and beating every network on television except for ABC and CBS in total viewers and households.
- and were the top two series on cable Tuesdays this summer among total viewers (CA 6.79 million / WC 5.72 million) and households (5.05 million / 4.29 million) while was #1 among P25-54 (3.15 million). No other scripted series on television with new episodes Tuesdays this summer delivered over 3 million in P25-54 (3.15 million / 2.65 million), 2 million in P18-49 (2.84 million / 2.53 million), 5 million total viewers, or 4 million households.
- made USA the top network on cable in its Tuesday 9pm timeslot this summer among P25-54, P18-49, P18-34, total viewers, and households, outperforming CBS head to head in P18-49, P25-54, and P18-34 and beating FOX in total viewers. is up double digits year to year with +21% more P25-54, +21% more P18-49, +25% more P18-34, +12% more total viewers, and +15% more households tuning into the show’s 3rd season to date than to last year’s summer episodes
- was the 2nd most watched scripted original with new episodes on television this summer among P25-54 and P18-49 and delivered more F18-49 than any of these shows. This series made USA second only to NBC in all of television in its Tuesday 10pm timeslot for P18-49, P25-54, total viewers, and households, beating ABC and CBS in P18-34. Year to year, COVERT AFFIARS grew +7% in P25-54, +3% in P18-49, +2% in P18-34, +5% in total viewers, and +8% in households.
- IN PLAIN SIGHT was the only ad-supported scripted series on television Sundays this summer to deliver over 3 million total female viewers and was second only to ABC in this demo when it aired this summer in its Sunday 10pm timeslot. IN PLAIN SIGHT outperformed CBS and NBC head to head this summer for P18-49, P25-54, P18-34, total viewers, and households. Summer to summer, IN PLAIN SIGHT grew +10% in P25-54, +12% in P18-49, +16% in P18-34, +7% in total viewers, and +10% in households.
- WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW made USA the #1 network in all of television in its Monday 9pm-11pm time period among M18-34, coming in second only to ABC in P18-34 and to HIST in M18-49, M25-54, and total males M2+. Only CBS and NBC delivered more P18-49 or P25-54 than Raw in its timeslot this summer.
- USA was the home to cable’s hottest acquired series this summer as and LAW & ORDER: were the only acquired series to average over 1 million P25-54 ( 1.06 million / 1.02 million) and 2.5 million total viewers (3.12 million / 2.56 million). LAW & ORDER: was the only acquired series to draw over 1 million in P18-49 this summer (1.06 million) and was the top acquired drama for P18-34 (485,000). was second only to among the summer’s acquired dramas for P18-49 (892,000) and P18-34 (327,000).
USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 102 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.
USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.