This week's season premieres of the CW's , 90210, , and , plus NBC's premieres of and can mean only one thing…
The Renew / Cancel Index returns Tuesday September 20! (with posts for NBC & CW only, five network posts begin Sept. 27)
A boon* to fans not wanting to get invested in shows destined for the dustbin, the Renew / Cancel Index predicts the renewal and cancellation prospects for every primetime scripted show on the English broadcast networks. (*and a bane to fans wishing to ignore reality)
The Index divides the new episode adults 18-49 averagefor each scripted show by its network's overall new show scripted adults 18-49 ratings average.
This season the Index will be New & Improved!
- No show within a season (~22 episodes) of syndication (~88 total episodes) at the end of the current season will ever drop below a "toss up" for renewal or cancellation.
- When a show ends its run on a network, I will freeze its Index at the number in its final week. That's to prevent a show's Index from changing after it ends its run.
- Expanding the Index range of the "toss up" zone (where renewal or cancellation could go either way) from 0.80-0.90 to 0.75-0.90.
These are the new *approximate* Index ranges and their default predictions:
- Index of 0.90 and above - near certain renewal (over 0.70 for Friday (F) shows)
- Index of 0.75-0.90 - a "toss up", could go either way, but higher numbers are better (0.55-0.70 for Friday (F) shows)
- Index of 0.75 and below - near certain cancellation (below 0.55 for Friday (F) shows)
The Renew / Cancel Index again had an excellent record in 2010-11 with a few notable exceptions:
- , Chuck - see improvement #1 above.
- , , The - see improvement #3 above.
- $#*! - CBS typically cancels its lowest rated sitcom to make room for new sitcoms, regardless of ratings.
- , , : - shows in an advantaged timeslot that deliver mediocre ratings are in danger even with an Index above 0.90. hurrah!
Here's how the Renew / Cancel Index performed for the 2010-11 season:
|Program||Network||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Friday Night Lights||NBC||final season||0.43|
|The Paul Reiser Show||NBC||cancelled||0.52|
|Law & Order: LA||NBC||cancelled||0.65|
|: Los Angeles||CBS||renewed||1.24|
|Law & Order:||NBC||renewed||1.32|