via press release:
BET’S 106 & PARK APP NOW AVAILABLE FOR ANDROID
Android users will join iPhone, iPodand iPad consumers to be part of the live show via Twitter,
mobile barcodes, game-like voting and live location-based ‘Fame Lottery’
NEW YORK, NY —September 12, 2011—BET Networks today announced that the most interactive television App the U.S. has ever seen, the 106 & PARK App, is now available for Android devices on the Android Market. Developed as a companion to the wildly successful music countdown and variety program of the same name, the 106 & PARK App allows fans to enjoy a deeper and more interactive experience who have it open while the show airs every weekday from 6:00-8:00 P.M.*
“As a beacon of youth culture, 106 & Park has continued to push the digital envelope for more than a decade," said Denmark West, President of Digital Media at BET Networks. "We’ve seen considerable growth in Android adoption among BET viewers these past couple of years, and we’re confident that today’s launch will lead to deeper levels of engagement with the live show for a significant percentage of our audience.”
To date, the 106 & PARK App has garnered more than 500,000 downloads on the iPhone, iPodand iPad, received tens of millions of votes for countdown videos as well as millions of votes for the show’s Wild Out Wednesday contest.
The 106 & PARK App on Android has several groundbreaking features, including:
- Location-based 'Fame Lottery' – Users logged into the app will appear on the "106 Nation” live heat map on the show's set. Hosts zoom into a city and call one lucky app user in that city.
- 'Twitter Wall' – Users can pan around to see who is watching the show and what they’re saying about today’s trending topic. Users can also post Tweets which have the chance to be read live on the air.
- Mobile barcodes – Users can unlock special content and prizes by scanning the “Code106” mobile barcodes that appear regularly during the show.
- Amateur competition voting – Users can vote for their favorite performer and see how individual votes stack up against the rest of the country’s in real-time.
- Countdown video voting – Users scratch a record like a DJ to rack up votes for their favorite countdown video. The more a user plays, the more votes are cast.
A powerful presence in the music and entertainment industry, 106 & PARK has been the #1 music variety show on cable for the past 15 consecutive quarters among adults 18-49, according to the Nielsen Company, and has been integral in launching the careers of numerous hip-hop and R&B artists.
*All times ET/PT
About BET Networks
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks - BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Home Entertainment, a collection of BET-branded offerings for the home environment including DVDs and video-on-demand; BET Event Productions, a full-scale event management and production company with festivals and live events spanning the globe; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.