The cancellation bear has awoken from his summer hibernation and he's hungry.
The new broadcast primetime shows begin premiering tomorrow night, so it's time to throw your hat in the ring and guess which new broadcast primetime show you think will be caught by the cancellation bear and canceled first.
Because comment thread lawyers abound, let's be clear that for the purposes of this poll "canceled" means removed from its initially scheduled timeslot, either off the air entirely or rescheduled to another timeslot, even if the network *claims* the show will return later (last season those who answered The Whole Truth in this "next to be canceled" poll ended up being correct, it was removed first among the shows noted and never returned, despite ABC claims otherwise).
Here's a little handicapping information:
- I've included new unscripted shows in the poll below, but an unscripted show hasn't been canceled first since we began the site four years ago (if ever).
- CBS had for three years running canceled a drama just before November sweeps, but last season they held on to all their new dramas for the entire season (before canceling their typical number in May).
- Fox pulled the trigger first last year with Lone Star after two airings.
- On casual inspection, ABC seems to have the most shows waiting for mid-season that could be pulled into the schedule early, but my information could be misleading because I have no idea how "ready" those shows really are.
- ABC on a number of occasions pulled shows to be canceled quickly and slotted Primetime or 20/20 specials in their slots last season.
- NBC just gave a name to its Brian Williams primetime news magazine (Rock Center). It has no place on the schedule, but it's just waiting for the first hour long cancellation of the season!
I'm going to go with Grimm getting pulled first off NBC and replaced with the Brian Williams Rock Center, but those arguing for one of the new ABC dramas will get little argument from me. Edit: Shows how much thought my pre-season predictions get. Grimm doesn't premiere until Oct. 21, and as commenters have pointed out, it's almost certain that something else will be gone by then.
What's your guess?
While this poll includes just rookie shows, and allows just one answer, feel free to expand your choices in the comments.