via press release:
MTV News Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Nirvana’s 1991 Release of “Nevermind” with
“MTV News Presents: Nirvana – The Nevermind You Never Knew”
Fans to Answer the Questions: “Which Album is the Greatest of 1991?” and “What is the Greatest Year for Rock in the MTV Era?”
To link to or embed “Nirvana: In Their Own Words” Part 1, click here.
New York, NY (September 19, 2011) – On the eve of the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s seminal rock album “Nevermind,” MTV News is delving into its archives and soliciting expert and fan opinions’ to deliver a week-long celebration that will reveal the importance, rise and lighter side of one of the most impactful bands of the 1990s with “MTV News Presents: Nirvana – The Nevermind You Never Knew.”
In addition to releasing rarely seen footage from the band’s multi-year relationship with the network, MTV News is giving fans the chance to vote on “Which Rock Album is the Greatest of 1991?” and “What is the Greatest Year for Rock in the MTV Era?” with a new online poll that remains open through Wednesday, September 21st at 12 pm ET/9am PT.
"Nirvana's ‘Nevermind’ is the rare album that not only lends itself to being mythologized, but deserves to be, as well," said James Montgomery, Senior Rock Correspondent for MTV News. "You remember where you were when you first heard the opening chords of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit,’ mostly because you knew -- on some level -- that nothing would ever be the same again. The song and album single-handedly defined a moment when rock truly rocked, and anything seemed possible."
“MTV News Presents: Nirvana – The Nevermind You Never Knew” will include:
- “Nirvana on Nirvana” – Three video package including rarely-seen archived interviews with the members of Nirvana discussing “The Early Days,” “Post-Superstardom” and “The Later Years”
- “Nirvana’s Legacy: Today’s Biggest Stars Remember” – Hip-hop mega-star Lil Wayne, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Linkin Park’s Chester Bennington and actress Zooey Deschanel discuss their thoughts on Nirvana’s “Nevermind”
- “The Impact of Nirvana” – MTV News alum Kurt Loder, former MTV Headbanger’s Ball host Riki Rachtman and MTV2’s 120 Minutes’ Matt Pinfield on Nirvana’s impact on the rock scene
- “Bigger Than the Sound” – MTV News’ Senior Rock Correspondent James Montgomery on the impact of “Nevermind” today
- “The Video That Rocked Rock and MTV” – In his own words, Kurt Cobain’s thoughts on the band’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” music video
- “Kurt Cobain: Behind the Scenes” – Amy Finnerty remembers her time with the band
- “Chris Cornell on Nirvana and Nevermind” – Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell discussing his thoughts on Nirvana and the impact of “Nevermind”
- “Can There Ever Be Another Nirvana?” – Expert opinions on whether there could ever be another Nirvana
- “Nevermind and Nirvana By the Numbers” – A look at the impact of “Nevermind” in the context of other big rock releases
In addition, fans can head to Nirvana.MTV.com to see a Nirvana photo gallery, additional archival footage, interviews and commentary.
MTV News is the authority for music, movies and pop culture news for the Millennial audience, producing a diverse mix of daily news stories, insider specials, weekly series, live red carpet shows, exclusive music video and movie premieres, as well as exclusive artist and celebrity interviews on-air, online, via mobile and across social media.
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its Emmy®, Grammy® and Peabody® award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. MTV’s sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unparalleled customized content for young males, music fans and college students, and its online hub MTV.com is the leading destination for music, news and pop culture. MTV is part of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.