via press release:
YAHOO! AND ABC NEWS LAUNCH PREMIER NEWS AND INFORMATION ALLIANCE
Powerful Combination Leverages Yahoo!’s Massive Reach, Content Breadth and Technology With ABC News’ Leading Brands, Trusted Anchors and Global Newsgathering Operation
Debut of Goodmorningamerica.Com on Yahoo! Offers Audience New Ways
To Continue the Conversation Before, during and After the Broadcast 24/7
Yahoo!’s and ABC News’ New Exclusive Slate of Original Online Video Programming
Kicks Off Today When ABC News Anchor George Stephanopoulos Interviews
President Obama Live from The White House
NEW YORK, NY, October 3, 2011 — Yahoo! (NASDAQ: YHOO), the premier digital media company, and ABC News today announced a strategic alliance that will enhance and transform the delivery of news and information across the digital landscape. This multifaceted relationship blends Yahoo! News’ unmatched audience, as well as its depth and breadth of content, with ABC News’ global newsgathering operation and unrivaled lineup of trusted anchors and reporters. Yahoo! News and ABC News reach a combined audience of more than 100 million people in the U.S. each month on PCs, mobile devices and tablets.
This unmatched alliance creates a powerful news experience that provides people greater access to compelling news and information, including more original news video online than ever before. It launches today with the debut of GoodMorningAmerica.com on Yahoo! and three new, online-first video series with ABC News’ award-winning and trusted anchors and correspondents. “Newsmakers,” an original interview series, kicks off today when “Good Morning America” anchor George Stephanopoulos interviews President Obama live at the White House at 2:35 p.m. ET. The entire interview will stream live on Yahoo.com and ABCNews.com.
“Yahoo! is committed to building the richest set of premium and personalized content experiences for our users. Our deep collaboration with ABC News further strengthens Yahoo! as the No. 1 online news source, greatly enhancing our already robust news content,” said Ross Levinsohn, executive vice president of Americas at Yahoo! “ABC News and Ben Sherwood’s vision is completely symbiotic with ours; together we can create highly engaging experiences for more than 100 million users a month that will set the standard for the industry.”
“This relationship will give ABC News an unrivaled ability to reach across the Web, combining Yahoo!’s vast distribution and cutting-edge technology with our award-winning journalism. For years, we’ve proudly proclaimed that more Americans get their news from ABC News than any other source,” said Ben Sherwood, president of ABC News. “Going forward, we will greatly expand this leadership by building a connection with a whole new online audience.”
By bringing together two of the world’s leading and most trusted news providers, Yahoo! and ABC News will deliver the latest breaking news, the biggest exclusives, and award-winning investigative journalism from a powerful lineup of journalists – all with the ability to extend across TV and online like never before.
Key elements of the alliance include:
• ABC News will be the premier news provider on Yahoo! News – Greater, even easier access to ABC News material across the Yahoo! News network, the No. 1 online news destination in the U.S. ABC News content will be prominently integrated into Yahoo! News, the Yahoo! front page, and other areas across the Yahoo! network.
• GoodMorningAmerica.com launches today on Yahoo! – A co-branded and highly interactive online destination (GMA.yahoo.com) with robust video and information will let the “Good Morning America” audience continue the conversation online before, during and after the broadcast and deepen viewers’ relationship with the program 24/7.
• New original Web series will debut from ABC News anchors and correspondents – Yahoo! and ABC News are launching an exclusive slate of original online video programming, starting today with “Newsmakers,” “Around the World with Christiane Amanpour” and “This Could Be Big.” Additional programs will debut in the months ahead and throughout 2012 (show descriptions follow below).
• ABC News and Yahoo! News editorial teams will work together to develop premium news content – Editorial teams from both organizations will collaborate on branded content that will appear on both the Yahoo! News and ABC News sites. Teams will co-produce coverage for major news events and will have integrated bureaus in New York, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. Yahoo! editorial staff or content will appear on air.
• Yahoo! and ABC Sales organizations will deliver powerful advertising solutions – The companies will create a suite of premium online video advertising opportunities and a variety of enhanced sponsorships designed to allow advertisers to benefit from the unique strengths of each sales organization. ABC will lead sales during the Upfront selling season and Yahoo! will manage sales throughout the rest of the year.
ABC News will continue to maintain editorial control of their sites, and Yahoo! maintains editorial control of Yahoo! sites. The Yahoo! News network will continue to feature content and perspectives from Yahoo!’s editorial staff and the Yahoo! Contributor Network, as well as content from other industry-leading providers and experts.
Original video programming
ABC News and Yahoo! have created a slate of original video programming with ABC News’ award-winning and trusted anchors and correspondents featured across various Yahoo! and ABC News sites. With 10 of the top 10 original video programs online, Yahoo! knows how to create and distribute engaging and compelling video content. Jointly produced video programs debut this fall and continue to roll out throughout 2012, starting with:
• “Newsmakers” – Everyone from politicians to global leaders to celebrities will engage in exclusive, online-first video conversations with Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters, George Stephanopoulos, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, Robin Roberts and others. Consumers will be able to join the discussion and submit questions in a truly innovative, interactive, social platform. http://news.yahoo.com/newsmakers/
“Around the World with Christiane Amanpour” – The first global program produced entirely online leverages Yahoo!’s enormous reach and Amanpour’s unmatched international relationships. The world’s top international journalist will bring explanations, context and analysis to the biggest international stories of the day. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-world-according-to/
“This Could Be Big” – The invisible plane, a car that gets 200 mpg, a building that generates its own electricity, an eye implant that allow the blind to see … these are just a few of the glimpses into the future of innovation that “Nightline” anchor Bill Weir will explore each week. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big/
Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) is the premier digital media company, creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. And Yahoo!’s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.com).
Yahoo! is home to the No. 1 sites for finance, sports, news, entertainment news, and more.
Yahoo! and Yahoo! News are the trademarks and/or registered trademark of Yahoo! Inc. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owner.
About ABC News
ABC News delivers a big picture understanding of the world to empower and inspire viewers to make confident decisions for themselves and their families. More people get their news from ABC News than from any other source. ABC News is responsible for all of the ABC Television Network’s news programming on a variety of platforms: television, radio, and the Internet. With an average television and radio audience of 180 million people in a given month, ABC News surpasses the competition. More than 2,400 affiliate stations broadcast ABC News Radio’s global news coverage. In addition, ABC News NOW is a 24-hour news and information network currently available to 44 million users across cable, broadband, and mobile platforms. NewsOne, the affiliate news service of ABC News, provides live and packaged news, sports, and weather reports, as well as footage of news events, to 200 ABC affiliates and more than 30 domestic and international clients.