Bears/Lions ‘Monday Night Football’ Scores 16.4 Million Viewers
via press release:
Monday Night Football Scores 16.4 Million Viewers
Bears-Lions Helps ESPN Win the Night among All Key Male and Adult Demos
Last night’s ESPN Monday Night Football telecast – a 24-13 Detroit victory over the Chicago Bears in the Lions’ first MNF game since 2001 – helped ESPN win the night among all networks – broadcast or cable – in all key male and adult demos. The telecast averaged:
- 11.9 household coverage rating (10.3 U.S. rating)
- 11,765,000 households
- 16,378,000 viewers
- ESPN won the night among all networks in all key male and adult demos and finished second in households and viewers
- MNF led all programs Monday night in the delivery of all key male and adults demos and finished second in households and viewers
- The MNF telecast ranks as the fifth-largest audience on cable television in calendar year 2011 in both households and viewers (behind four other ESPN telecasts – two BCS bowl games, the final MNF telecast of last season, and this season’s Redskins-Cowboys MNF game)
Local market ratings:
- Chicago: 18.7 rating on ESPN and 13.3 on WCIU, for a combined 32.0 rating.
- Detroit: 10.7 rating on ESPN and 25.7 rating on WXYZ, for a combined 36.4 rating.
MNF season averages (thru 5 weeks/6 games):
- 10.0 household coverage rating (8.6 U.S. rating)
- 9,892,000 households
- 13,622,000 viewers
ESPN Digital Platforms
On Sunday and Monday, NFL content across ESPN digital platforms – including ESPN.com, ESPN Fantasy, the ESPN mobile Web, ScoreCenter and WatchESPN – logged an average minute audience of nearly 173,000 users, a 55 percent increase compared to the same two days last season (source: Adobe/Omniture). ESPN.com logged an average minute audience of 114,000 users to the NFL section alone, up 11 percent from last year, while NFL content on ESPN Mobile Applications generated an average minute audience of more than 59,000 users, a 50 percent gain.