via press release:
WHERE ALL ROADS END, THE TWETO FAMILY’S WORLD BEGINS:RETURNS FOR A SECOND SEASON ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL
Fridays at 10PM ET/PT Beginning October 28
In the wildest regions of Northern Alaska, the only way in -- and the only way out -- is by bush plane. It's a world of dangerous weather, harsh conditions and small isolated communities bonded by native customs, whose very survival depends on air travel. And it's here that the Tweto family operates Era Alaska, Alaska's largest regional airline, battling extreme weather to provide the only lifeline to America's last frontier. The Twetos return for the second season of, Fridays from 10-11PM ET/PT on Discovery Channel, beginning October 28. The series' first season was the highest-rated new series launch in Discovery Channel history when it premiered in January 2010.
Jim Tweto runs Era Alaska with passion and looks to his tiny but fierce wife, Ferno, for support. She's cargo runner, dispatcher and mom to daughters Ayla and Ariel, who play a vital role in the operation. Originally founded in the small city of Unalakleet with just one small plane, today the company has nearly 75 planes and handles everything from cross-state commuter flights to tiny off-airport "bush" flights -- and employs pilots who are among the best in the world. From a professional skateboarder in search of ultimate freedom, to a local Alaskan native who has grown up around the business his whole life, they combat big storms in small planes - a scenario only suited for the most experienced, especially with such precious cargo.
Season two offeatures:
- Dangerous weather, from conducting risky landings on frozen rivers, to dangerous icing conditions on the ground and in the air.
- Critical lifesaving operations, as pilot Luke Hickerson races to get a village elder to the hospital, and Era transports fire crews to combat wildfires raging across Alaska. And when a tsunami warning threatens the entire west coast, Era Alaska is called upon to aid a village devastated by heavy flooding. Later in the season, Jim Tweto searches for a group of missing mountain climbers lost somewhere in Alaska's Brooks Range.
- Alaskan culture , as Ferno, Ayla and Ariel "run with the reindeer," an event tied to festivities surrounding the Iditarod dog sled race; traditional native Bowhead whale hunting; attending "Artic Man," a local skiing competition; and pilot John Ponts' skateboarding buddies come to Unalakleet to build a ramp for local kids.
- Unusual cargo, as Luke brings the first ever ATM to a village - along with a planeload of cash! And pilots John Dronenberg & Justin Essian try to fly 1600lbs of volatile propane to a secluded fishing lodge.
- Ariel's quest for her pilot's license. As she continues to work towards her license, pilot and teacher John Ponts puts money on the line to challenge her to make a perfect landing.
- International intrigue, as pilots skirt the Russian border to deliver vaccines on Alaska's most treacherous runway.
is produced for Discovery Channel by 3 Ball Productions/Eyeworks USA, where JD Roth and Todd A. Nelson are executive producers, and DJ Nurre is co-executive producer. For Discovery Channel, French Horwitz is executive producer.