A Growing ABC Wins Wednesday in Adults 18-49; ‘Revenge’ is Up to Win at 10pm
via press release:
Up against Fox’s MLB playoffs extra-innings game (Detroit-Texas), ABC ranked #1 on Wednesday night among Adults 18-49, building 6% week to week. In addition, for the 4th straight week this season, ABC aired Wednesday’s #1 TV show in Adults 18-49 with Modern Family.
- ABC’s Wednesday numbers continued to pace well ahead of last year in both Total Viewers (+20%) and Adults 18-49 (+26%), growing year to year for the 4th week running this season.
At 8pm, ABC’s The Middle took full control of its comedy competition in the half-hour, towering over NBC’s Up All Night by 3.6 million viewers and by 40% in Adults 18-49. In addition, The Middle ranked #1 in its half-hour with Adults 18-34 and key Women (W18-34/W18-49), while standing as the highest-rated broadcast program with Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11. The ABC comedy equaled the series’ 2nd-highest-ever number with Adults 18-34.
- Building its numbers year to year for the 4th time in as many telecasts this season, The Middle was up over the same night last year by 10% in viewers and by 12% in young adults.
Building on its Adult 18-49 lead-in for its 3rd straight telecast (+7%) at 8:30pm, ABC’s Suburgatory finished a solid #2 in its time period to CBS’ Survivor. Similarly its lead-in, the new ABC comedy ranked #1 in its slot with Adults 18-34 and key Women (W18-34/W18-49), while qualifying as thebroadcast leader with Teens 12-17.
- Despite facing post-season baseball, Suburgatory held 100% of its Adult 18-34 audience week to week and rose 6% in Men 18-34 to match a series best.
- Suburgatory once again delivered big improvement for ABC over the year-ago time period occupant (Better with You) in viewers (+38%) and young adults (+43%).
Gaining on its lead-in at 9pm to dominate its time period with Adults 18-49 over the MLB Playoffs (+84%) and CBS’ Criminal Minds (+58%), ABC’s Modern Family qualified as the evening’s #1 TV show in the key young adult sales demo (4th week running). The ABC comedy was also Wednesday’s most-watched show overall for the 3rd time in 4 weeks.
- Opposite the baseball playoffs, Modern Family retained 100% of its week ago Adult 18-49 audience (equaling its 2nd-highest-ever regular telecast) and built week to week across a number of key demos, including Total Viewers, AD25-54, W18-49, M18-34, Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11 (surging 50% week to week and hitting a season high).
- Growing year to year for the 4th consecutive telecast this season, Modern Family improved over its year-ago telecast by 17% in viewers and by 19% with young adults.
In the 9:30pm half-hour, ABC’s sophomore Happy Endings surged to series highs, up by double-digit percentages week to week with Total Viewers (+12%) and Adults 18-49 (+18%). For the 2nd week in a row, Happy Endings ranked #1 in its slot with Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34.
- Happy Endings improved its half-hour year to year in viewers (+4%) and young adults (+3%).
Building on its Total Viewer lead-in (+5%) during the 10 o’clock hour against established dramas on both CBS (CSI) and NBC (L&O: SVU), ABC’s freshman drama Revenge ranked #1 in its slot with Adults 18-49 for the 2nd time in 4 weeks. In addition, Revenge was the #1 show in the hour for its 4th telecast in a row with Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34, while also leading with Adults 25-54.
- The new ABC drama was up week to week in Total Viewers (+3%) and Adults 18-49 (+13%). In addition, Revenge surged by 28% week to week with Adults 18-34, hitting its 2nd-highest number to date.
- Revenge continued to post big time-period increases for ABC, jumping over the year-ago night in viewers (+30%) and young adults (+59%).