Three Weeks into the New Season, “GMA” is Delivering its Smallest Total Viewing Gap with NBC’s “Today” in 4 Years

Categories: Morning News TV Ratings,Press Releases

Written By

October 14th, 2011

via press release:

Three Weeks into the New Season, “GMA” is Delivering its Smallest Total Viewing Gap with NBC’s “Today” in 4 Years

 

“GMA” Substantially Cut Both Total Viewing and Demo Gaps with “Today” Season to Date

 

“GMA” Increases Most Among Total Viewers and Stands as

Only Morning Program to Grow in Demo Season-to-Date

 

“GMA” Attracts Largest Overall Season Audience in 4 Years

 

ABC News’ “Good Morning America” averaged 4.708 million Total Viewers and a 1.5/11/1.823 million in Adults 25-54 for the week of October 3, 2011. For the 3rd time in 3 weeks of the new season, “GMA” saw double-digit increases over the same week last year in both Total Viewers (+13%) and Adults 25-54 (+11%). “GMA” grew the most year to year in both Nielsen measures among the network morning programs (NBC’s “Today” up +5% and +2%, respectively; CBS’ “Early Show” was down by -1% and by -2%, respectively).

 

For the 3rd week in a row this season, “GMA” cut its margins from the year-earlier week with “Today” by double-digits in both Total Viewer (-33% - 565,000 vs. 847,000) and Adults 25-54 (-20% - 571,000 vs. 718,000). Season to date, “GMA” substantially cut its gaps in both Total Viewer (-53%) and Adults 25-54 (-32%) versus its year-ago season gaps, posting its smallest Total Viewer margin (459,000) with the NBC program in 4 years – since the 2007-08 season.

 

“GMA” bettered CBS’ “Early Show” by 2.129 million Total Viewers (4.708 million vs. 2.579 million) and by 780,000 Adults 25-54 (1.823 million vs. 1.043 million).

 

Season to date, “GMA” is up the most among the network morning news programs in Total Viewers (+16%) and stands as the only morning program to grow in Adults 25-54 (+13%) versus its year-ago averages (NBC’s “Today” is up by +2% and down by -1%, respectively; CBS’ “Early Show” is down by -2% and by -4%, respectively). “GMA” is attracting its largest overall season audience in 4 years – since the 2007-2008 season.

 

Emmy Award-winning “GMA,” featuring the anchor team of Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Sam Champion, Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott, airs live Mon.-Fri. (7:00-9:00 a.m., ET) on ABC. James Goldston is senior executive producer and Tom Cibrowski is executive producer.

 

 

Week of 10/03/11 Total Viewers Adults 25-54 Households

ABC 4,708,000 1.5/11; 1,823,000 3.5/13

NBC 5,273,000 2.0/14; 2,394,000 4.0/15

CBS 2,579,000 0.9/ 6; 1,043,000 1.9/ 7

 

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 10/03/11, 9/26/11 & 10/04/10. Most Current: 2011-2012 Season (9/19 – 10/9/11) and 2010-2011 Season (9/20 – 10/10/10).

 

 

 
© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures