ABC’s ‘Man Up’ Debut Posts Solid Lead-in Retention and Grows its Time Slot
via press notes:
Featuring Last Man Standing, Man Up, DWTS: The Results and Body of Proof, ABC finished as the 2nd most-watched TV network overall to CBS on Tuesday, topping Fox by 6% (2-hour The X Factor) and more than doubling NBC’s audience on the evening (+110% – 2-hour The Biggest Loser/Parenthood). In addition among Adults 18-49, ABC outdelivered NBC by 26%.
- ABC hit its 2nd highest-rated Tuesday this season among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
Exhibiting strong retention of its premiere in the half hour the prior week at 8pm against NCIS and X Factor, ABC’s Last Man Standing ranked a #2 in its slot with Total Viewers, Adults 18-34 and Adults 25-54, while running #1 with hard-to-reach Men 18-34. Versus its big series debut performance in the half-hour the prior week, Last Man Standing retained 88% of its premiere Adult 18-49 audience, 96% in Adults 18-34 and actually grew +5% with Men 18-34.
- Last Man Standing boosted its slot for ABC by double-digit percentages over the same night last year with Total Viewers (+40%) and Adults 18-49 (+36%).
At 8:30pm against stiff competition from the second half-hours of CBS’ top-rated NCIS and Fox’s The X Factor, the series debut of ABC’s Man Up defeated NBC’s time-period established The Biggest Loser by wide margins in Total Viewers (+53%) and Adults 18-49 (+33%). Man Up showed solid retention of its Last Man Standing lead-in among young adults: Adults 18-49 (80%) and Adults 18-34 (83%).
- Man Up improved its half-hour year to year for ABC across key demos: Total Viewers (+3%), Adults 18-49 (+4%), Adults 18-34 (+19%) and Men 18-34 (+21%).
During the 9 o’clock hour, ABC’s Dancing with the Stars: The Results ran as the 2nd-most-watched TV show, outpacing Fox’s X Factor by 3.1 million viewers and NBC’s The Biggest Loser by 8.2 million viewers. The ABC dancing results show also held the #2 position in the hour among key Women (W18-34/W18-49) and beat out the second hour of NBC’s Biggest Loser by 30% in Adults 18-49. Reality television star and fashion expert Carson Kressley was the fifth celebrity contestant to be eliminated from the ABC dance competition this season.
For the 5th week in a row this season, ABC’s Body of Proof ranked as the 2nd-most-watched TV show overall in Tuesday’s 10 o’clock hour, beating NBC’s Parenthood by a margin of 4.5 million viewers. The ABC drama also placed #2 in the hour with key Women (W18-49/W25-54).
- Body of Proof was up over the prior week in viewers (+6%) and young adults (+6%), drawing its 2nd-largest overall audience this season. In addition, the ABC drama equaled its 2nd-highest numbers this season with Women 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- Continuing to deliver much stronger lead-in retention for ABC in the hour year to year, Body of Proof grew its time period over the year-ago evening by 1.6 million viewers and by 6% in Adults 18-49.