via press release:
MORE THAN 10 MILLION VIEWERS IN 122 COUNTRIES TUNE IN LIVE TO WATCH THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 2 INTERNATIONAL DEBUT
THE WALKING DEAD 2 PREMIERE BECOMES THE MOST WATCHED US CABLE DRAMA ON FOX INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS (FIC) TO DATE
FIC CONCLUDED ITS WEEK-LONG PREMIERES’ STREAK WITH RECORD-BREAKING RESULTS AROUND THE WORLD
Los Angeles, CA – Oct 24, 2011 – Fox International Channels' streak of global premieres for The Walking Dead, which began on Oct 17th and ended last night, delivered the best performance for a cable drama outside of the US. Over 10 million viewers around the world tuned in for the live premiere telecast.
International Ratings Highlights for the The Walking Dead – Season 2 Episode 1:
- Delivered an estimated average of 2.0 rating across all metered markets
- Delivered 10 Million Total Pay TV Viewers across key demos.
“The Walking Dead has gone from phenomenon to pandemic,” said Hernan Lopez, CEO of FIC. “The numbers that came in this week combined with the astounding launch results in the US tell us that the virus is now out of control.”
The Walking Dead 2 debuted in 122 countries across Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, speaking 35 languages. The show was the highest rated program on pay television of the night in most of FIC’s major markets; winning its time period among all Pay TV.
Global Ratings Highlights:
UK - FX
Key BARB Highlights:
- 693,300 Total Pay Viewers - 439,800 Total Pay P18-49 viewers
- Delivered a 2.204 rating and drove the channel to the #2 Pay TV spot of the night in Viewers 18-34 in Pay TV Homes.
- Delivered a 2.373 rating and drove the channel to the #2 Pay TV spot of the night in Viewers 18-49 in Pay TV Homes.
SPAIN – FOX
Key KANTAR Highlights:
- 432,000 Total Viewers- 316,000 Viewers Adults 18-49
- Delivering the best ratings results in 18-49 in FOX Spain’s Ten Year Life Span and the second best debut ever in the history of the channel behind House Season 3 2007
- 411% Increase Respectively Over Season One Premiere
- Over 470% Increase in Average PT for the Month of October
Key IBOPE Highlights:
- 296,090 Total Viewers- 157,430 Viewers Adults P18-49
- Delivered a 2.76 rating and drove the channel to the #1 spot of the night in Viewers 18-49 High/Medium winning in its timeslot among all TV channels.
- 513% Increase vs. Yr.1 Season Average
- Beats Televisa's Free TV channels with a substantial difference; +303% vs. Galavisión, +21% Canal 2 Nat and +8% Canal 5 Nat.
- Over performed by +39% the Season 1 Average.
- +30% increase compared to Season 1 Premiere.
Key IBOPE Highlights
- 269,950 Total Pay Viewers - 92,240 total Pay P18-49 High/Medium viewers
- Delivered a 2.57 rating and drove the channel to the #1 spot of the night in Viewers 18-49 High/Medium winning in its timeslot among all Pay TV channels.
- Pulled in +165% more viewers among Pay P 18-49 High/Medium than its closest ranked entertainment competitor TNT.
- Over performed by +32% the Season 1 Average.
- +4% increase compared to Season 1 Premiere.
Key AUDITEL/AGB Highlights:
- 200,000 Total Viewers, 129,900 Viewers Adults 18-49
- Making it the Channel’s highest rated show in its timeslot in men 18-49 and the second most watched program in its timeslot across all pay TV for the night.
- 204% Increase in Total Viewers vs Timeslot Average, 236% Increase in Viewers 18/49 vs Timeslot Average
- 6.4 Share on All TV (6,4%) in its Timeslot in Men 18/49 (basic cable and broadcast)
The Walking Dead secured a 2010 Golden Globe nomination for best television series and won the 2011 Emmy award for outstanding prosthetic make-up. The series tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. “The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Glen Mazzara serves as series’ showrunner. Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Frank Darabont are executive producers. Greg Nicotero is a co-executive producer.
FIC owns all international rights for The Walking Dead outside of North America. Entertainment One handles third party Broadcast TV, Digital and Home Video sales for the show outside of FIC’s channels.
International fans can stay connected with The Walking Dead by visiting FIC’s official website http://ficshows.com/en/the-walking-dead/home, regional Facebook and Twitter pages.
*Sources: IBOPE (Argentina: GBA Only, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Peru) – Persons 18-49 in Pay TV Universe, AGB (Venezuela) – Persons 18-44 ABCD in Pay TV Universe, AUDITEL/AGB (Italy) AMR viewers 2+ in Pay TV Universe, BARB (UK)- TRP viewers in Pay TV HH, KANTAR (Spain)- SOA viewers in Pay TV Universe,