via press note:
Live+7 Day Ratings for the week of 10/31/11 (Week #7):
Based on Nielsen’s DVR playback data for the week, ABC claimed the Top 2 biggest gainers among Adults 18-49 with Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy. In fact, it was the 7th straight week this season for ABC to deliver the #1 television show in time-shifted gains in the key young adult sales demo. For its 6th straight telecast, Modern Family registered as the week’s biggest gainer via time-shifted viewing in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, picking up anadditional 4.92 million viewers and 2.6 rating points from its originally reported Live + Same Day numbers. In fact, Modern Family’s time-shifted viewing gains for the week were the highest-ever for any single telecast of a TV series. ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy was the week’s 2nd-biggest gainer in the key young adult sales demo (+1.6 rating points), tying Fox’s House.
- Based on Nielsen’s final ratings, ABC’s Modern Family solidified its rank as TV’s #1 scripted show for the week in Adults 18-49 (8.3 rating), increasing its advantage over runner-up CBS’ The Big Bang Theory (6.8) to 22% (from a 6% lead in the initially reported Live + Same Day numbers). In addition, in the Live + 7 numbers, Modern Family finished more than 2.0 rating points ahead of CBS’ Two and a Half Men (8.3 vs. 6.2).
- Picking up an additional 1.6 rating points in the Live + 7 numbers, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy emerged as TV’s #1 drama of the week in the key young adult sales demo (5.2). Initially in the Live + Same Day statistics, Grey’s placed as TV’s #4 drama for the week in the young adult demo and moved up to #1 in the Live + 7 Day statistics, leapfrogging over CBS’ NCIS (4.9) and Criminal Minds (4.9) and ABC’s Once Upon a Time (4.8).
- For the 2nd week running, Disney-owned Once Upon a Time (4.8) and Revenge (4.1) solidified their ranks as TV’s top 2 freshman dramas among young adults, gaining 1.0 rating point and 1.1 rating points, respectively, in the playback finals.
- Impressively, ABC had 8 shows gain more than 2 million viewers from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing, including the week’s biggest overall gainer: Modern Family (+4.92 million), Grey’s Anatomy (+3.22 million), Castle (+2.83 million), Body of Proof (+2.64 million), Once Upon a Time(+2.62 million), Revenge (+2.56 million), Private Practice (+2.46 million) and Desperate Housewives (+2.09 million).
- Among Adults 18-49, ABC saw 6 series add on at least a full rating point over their initially reported numbers: Modern Family – top gainer overall (+2.6 rating – 5.7 to 8.3), Grey’s Anatomy (+1.6 rating – 3.6 to 5.2), Private Practice (+1.2 rating – 2.6 to 3.8), Revenge (+1.1 rating – 3.0 to 4.1), Desperate Housewives (+1.0 rating – 2.8 to 3.8) and Once Upon a Time (+1.0 rating – 3.8 to 4.8).
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/19/11-11/6/11):
On average for the 2011-12 season, ABC’s Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy are the season’s Top 2 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing among Adults 18-49 (picking up 2.4 rating points and 1.6 rating points, respectively), while the ABC sitcom is the season’s biggest overall gainer among Total Viewers(+4.66 million).
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original, regular telecasts only.