via press note:
Live + 7 Day Ratings for the week of 1/9/12 (Week #17):
Based on Nielsen’s DVR playback among Adults 18-49, ABC claimed TV’s biggest gainer via time-shifted viewing (Modern Family), the biggest drama gainer (Grey’s Anatomy) and the biggest new drama gainer (Once Upon a Time). With Modern Family, Grey’s Anatomy and Once Upon a Time, ABC claimed 3 of the 4 biggest gainers of the week among young adults.
- Based on Nielsen’s final ratings, ABC’s Modern Family emerged as TV’s #1 scripted show of the week in Adults 18-49, soaring from a 5.1 rating in the first-reported numbers to a 7.4 rating in the playback finals. Initially in the Live + Same Day statistics, Modern Family was the #3 scripted show for the week in the young adult demo and moved up to #1 in the Live + 7 Day numbers, leapfrogging over CBS’ The Big Bang Theory (7.1) and Fox’s The Simpsons (5.8).
- Impressively, ABC had 8 shows gain more than 2 million viewers from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing, including 5 of the Top 10 biggest overall gainers: Modern Family – top gainer overall (+4.57 million), Castle (+3.24 million), Grey’s Anatomy (+3.01 million), Once Upon a Time (+2.99 million), Body of Proof (+2.75 million), Revenge (+2.62 million), Desperate Housewives (+2.15 million) and Private Practice (+2.10 million).
- Among Adults 18-49, ABC saw 5 series add on at least a full rating point over their initially reported numbers: Modern Family (+2.3 rating – 5.1 to 7.4), Grey’s Anatomy (+1.6 rating – 3.8 to 5.4), Once Upon a Time (+1.4 rating – 3.3 to 4.7), Revenge (+1.1 rating – 2.4 to 3.5) and Private Practice(+1.0 rating – 2.3 to 3.3).
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/19/11-1/15/12):
On average for the 2011-12 season, ABC’s Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy are the season’s Top 2 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing among Adults 18-49 (picking up 2.4 rating points and 1.6 rating points, respectively), while the ABC sitcom is the season’s biggest overall gainer among Total Viewers (+4.71 million).
- With Modern Family (8.0 rating) and Grey’s Anatomy (5.4), ABC claims the season’s #1 program and #1 drama, respectively, based on original telecasts in the key young adult demo.
- Disney-owned Once Upon a Time (4.7) and ABC’s Revenge (3.7) are the Top 2 new dramas of the season for originals in Adults 18-49, picking up an additional 1.2 rating points and 1.1 rating points, respectively, in the Live + 7 numbers.
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original, regular telecasts only.