via press release:
NBA TV Continues to Set Record Ratings During the 2011-12 Regular Season
2011-12 Regular-Season Games Outpacing Last Season’s Viewership
NBA TV continues to set record ratings just over a month into the 2011-12 regular season. Through the first 34 games of the regular season, NBA TV is averaging 391,000 total viewers and 306,000 total households, up 74% and 78% respectively, compared to the same time last year. In addition, NBA TV has also shown the largest universe growth of any cable network since the start of the year with an increase of over 3.3 million households.
To date, the 2011-12 regular season has delivered three of the top five most-watched games ever on the network. The following are NBA TV's Top 5 most-watched games in total viewers (newly charted games in bold):
• Memphis Grizzlies at San Antonio Spurs: 835,000 viewers (4/27/11, Playoffs)
• LA Lakers at LA Clippers: 756,000 viewers (1/14/12, Regular Season)
• Chicago Bulls at LA Clippers: 722,000 viewers (12/30/11, Regular Season)
• LA Clippers at LA Lakers: 686,000 viewers (1/25/12, Regular Season)
• Portland Trailblazers at Miami Heat: 681,000 viewers (3/8/11, Regular Season)
NBA TV’s popular Fan Night games – where fans vote for the games they want to see via NBA.com, NBA’s Facebook page and Yahoo.com – are also up compared to the same time a year ago. The Jan. 17 Fan Night match-up between the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat delivered the most-watched Fan Night game of 2011-12 regular season on NBA TV with 675,000 total viewers. The first seven Fan Night games of the regular season averaged 502,000 viewers and 400,000 households, up 35% and 45%, respectively, compared to the same time period last year.
NBA TV continues to average the youngest median age (34.4) of any sports network. NBA TV's key demographics are also up double and triple digits compared to the same time period of the 2010-11 regular season:
• A18-34: 133,000 vs. 65,000 +105%
• A18-49: 221,000 vs. 124,000 +78%
• A25-54: 207,000 vs. 120,000 +74%
• M18-34: 96,000 vs. 49,000 +96%
• M18-49: 166,000 vs. 93,000 +78%
• M25-54: 160,000 vs. 92,000 +74%
Highlights from the first month of the 2011-12 regular season include:
• The Jan. 14 match-up between the Lakers and Clippers delivered the most-watched regular season game in the network’s history, with 756,000 total viewers. The contest eclipsed the network’s previous record of 722,000 total viewers for the Dec 30, 2011, contest between the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers.
• NBA TV’s broadcast of the Clippers and Lakers game on Jan. 25 delivered 686,000 total viewers; 532,000 households; and 198,000 men 18-34. The match-up was the third most-watched 2011-12 regular-season game on NBA TV.
• NBA TV’s Jan. 24 Fan Night match-up, featuring the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Heat, delivered 547,000 total viewers; 424,000 households; and 132,000 men 18-34. The match-up was the second most-watched Fan Night game of the 2011-12 regular season-to-dates for households and total viewers.
• NBA TV’s Jan. 30 broadcast of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Clippers regular season game delivered 552,000 total households and 625,000 viewers and 174,000 Men 18-34. This game garnered the highest deliveries on households of any regular season game ever on NBA TV.
Source: Nielsen Media Research, StarTrak. Based on Live +Same Day data stream. NBA TV 2011-12 Regular Season 12/26/11-1/30/12. Same year ago period 12/27/10-1/31/11. NBA TV vs. NBC Sports Network Rebranding 1/1/12-1/29/12. Total Day, M-Sun 6A-6A. Prime, M-Sat 8-11P, Sun 7-11P.