With the recent premiere (and the attendant PR hoopla) of OWN's Oprah's Next Chapter the ratings for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey network in January exceeded those from its OWN slow start in January, 2011.
Here are the comparisons across the adult viewership demos I have between OWN in January, 2011 vs. OWN in January, 2012. Note: These are not comparisons to Discovery Health ratings, which OWN replaced in 2011, those are still quite unflattering to OWN, but I hesitate to make comparisons to ratings from years prior to the previous one.
- Total Day Avg. viewership: Up 4%
- Total Day Women 18-34 viewership: Up 17%
- Total Day Women 18-49 viewership: Up 2%
- Total Day Women 25-54 viewership: No change (likely the ad target demo for OWN)
- Total Day Adults 18-49 viewership: Up 15%
There has been more management turnover at OWN recently, because it still isn't attracting as many viewers as Discovery Health did and that's critical considering the amount of money Discovery has already invested, but OWN's PR task is likely getting easier as comparisons to Discovery Health recede into the rear view mirror and comparisons to its OWN slow start begin.