via press notes:
MTV AND FANS CELEBRATE THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF WHITNEY HOUSTON
MTV NEWS LIVE FROM THE GRAMMYS® RED CARPET SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12th AT 5PM ET on MTV.COM
New York, NY (February 12, 2012) – MTV is celebrating the life and 27-year legacy of musical legend Whitney Houston.
- MTV News broke into regularly scheduled programming on Saturday, February 11th at 11:30pm ET for a special one-hour Whitney Houston music video tribute including live updates from the MTV Newsroom in Times Square and coverage from MTV News’ Correspondent James Montgomery live at the Clive Davis Grammy Pre-Party. The video tribute will re-air on Sunday, February 12th with updated correspondent hits.
- Since news broke, MTV’s music channels - MTV Hits and MTV Jams – have been playing non-stop Whitney Houston music videos, along with MTV News hits, artist/celebrity and man-on-the-street reactions, and Twitter comments from fans. In addition, MTV Hits will go commercial free for 24-hours in celebration of Houston’s career from 1:00PM ET today through 1:00PM ET tomorrow.
- MTV has given the audience the chance to share their grief publicly via the networks’ Twitter (@MTV with hashtag #RIPWhitney or #WhitneyHouston), Facebook and Tumblr accounts.
- MTV News’ Sway Calloway and James Montgomery will broadcast LIVE for three hours from the 54th Annual GRAMMY® Awards Red Carpet on Sunday, February 12th starting at 5PM ET on MTV.com. The live-stream will include heartfelt conversation and interviews about the musical legend. Fans are encouraged to send in their thoughts and memories LIVE via Twitter by using the @mtvnews handle and hashtag #grammys.
- On Monday, February 13th, MTV’s AMTV will feature non-stop Whitney Houston music videos from 6AM ET/PT – 9AM ET/PT.
- MTV News is pulling from 27-years of video archives for an upcoming tribute on Whitney Houston’s life “in her own words” to air later this week. More details to follow.
- MTV News will continue to break in on-air and cover the story fully online at MTVNews.com including: musician/celebrity reactions, Whitney Houston’s musical and movie legacy, her new film Sparkle that will open this summer, details on what happened inside Clive Davis’ party Saturday night with Diddy, Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo, Pitbull and more.
- Coverage will continue via all of MTV’s various editorial outlets, including MTV News, NextMovie and MTV’s Buzzworthy to provide fans with additional insights into Whitney Houston’s impact and career.
- MTV’s International channels will join in the global tribute airing dedicated music programming and news updates on-air, online and via social media.