via press release:
THE WALKING DEAD’S MUCH ANTICIPATED
GLOBAL RETURN SETS NEW RATINGS RECORDS ON
FOX INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS (FIC)
MID-SEASON PREMIERE DRAWS CLOSE TO 17 MILLION VIEWERS FOLLOWING A WEEK OF INTERNATIONAL ROLL-OUTS
Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2012 – Following last week’s global premieres of The Walking Dead on FOX International Channels’ (FIC) networks around the world, the group today announces record-breaking ratings for the hit’s return. An average of 16.9 million-viewers tuned in to watch the mid-season premiere outside of the US. The show was the highest rated program on pay television of the night in most of FIC’s major markets; winning its time period among all Pay TV. The mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead debuted in 122 countries across Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, speaking 35 languages.
International Ratings Highlights for The Walking Dead – Season 2 Part 2
- Delivered 16.9 million households within all FIC markets
- Delivered 8 million households across all FIC metered markets
- Ranked #1 in regions like UK (1.76 rat%), Spain (2.75 rat%), Argentina (0.81 rat%), Colombia (0.94 rat%) and Mexico (1.31 rat%), Italy (1.93 rat%) and Slovenia (0.62 rat%).
- Broke ratings records previously held by The Walking Dead’s season 1 & season 2 premieres
“These impressive results are proof that FIC's global launch model is steering the new TV standard,” said Hernan Lopez, CEO of Fox International Channels. “International audiences are eager to be part of the global conversation, and effective day & date releases is a unique way in which FIC ensures they are. With targeted marketing and continued fan engagement over the show's hiatus, we were able to create a cult global community who's following the show actively. We see global launches playing a very big part of our worldwide programming strategy, and one we have replicated and will continue to replicate for key titles.
Regional Ratings Highlights:
UK – FX (Key BARB Highlights):
- Averaged 737,200 Total Pay Viewers (558,400 in key 18-49 demo) – over performing its lead in by 100% among Pay P18-49 and +31% among Total Pay Viewers
- Ranked #1 among all Pay TV channels in key 18-49 demo with a 3.05 rating and Total Viewers with a 1.98 rating.
SPAIN – FOX (Key KANTAR Highlights):
- Averaged 330,000 Total Pay Viewers (193,080 in key 18-49 demo) – posting impressive double-digit growth compared to Season 1.
- Ranked #1 among all Pay TV channels in key 18-49 demo with a 3.93 rating and Total Viewers with a 2.75 rating.
- Ranked a dominant #1 among Pay TV programs, beating its closest competitor, Castle on AXN, by 78%.
ITALY-FOX (Key AUDITEL/AGB Highlights):
- Averaged 328,180 Total Pay Viewers (215,640 in key 18-49 demo) – posting a 19% growth over Season 2’s October premiere.
- Ranked #1 among all Pay TV channels in key 18-49 demo with a 3.26 rating and Total Viewers with a 1.93 rating.
- Ranked as the #1 program of the night on Pay TV beating its closest competitor, Guardia Del Corpo 1992 on Sky Cinema Hits, by 123%.
LATAM (Key IBOPE Highlights):
- Ranked #1 among all Pay TV channels in Mexico in key Pay P18-49 High/Medium demo with a 2.19 rating and Total Pay P4+ Viewers with a 1.31 rating. Outperformed Season 1 by +6%.
- Ranked #1 among all entertainment Pay TV channels in Argentina in key Pay P 18-49 High/Medium demo with a 0.88 rating and Total Pay P4+ Viewers with a 0.81 rating. Outperformed channel primetime average by 24% in key 18-49 demo.
- Ranked #1 among all t Pay TV channels in Chile in key Pay P 18-49 High/Medium demo with a 0.78 rating and among all entertainment Pay TV channels with Total Pay P 4+Viewers with a 0.51 rating. Outperformed channel primetime average by 136% in key 18-49 demo.
- Ranked #1 among all entertainment Pay TV channels in Colombia in key Pay P 18-49 High/Medium demo with a 1.07 rating and Total Pay P 4+Viewers with a 0.73 rating.
“The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Glen Mazzara serves as series’ showrunner and executive producer. Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Frank Darabont are executive producers with Greg Nicotero as co-executive producer. Season two of the critically acclaimed global hit series continues to deliver the strongest telecasts for any drama in basic cable history against Adults 18-49, as well as, top international pay-TV ratings on Fox International Channels’ (FIC) major markets
FIC owns all international rights for The Walking Dead outside of North America. Entertainment One handles third party Broadcast TV, Digital and Home Video sales for the show outside of FIC’s channels.
International fans can stay connected with The Walking Dead by visiting FIC’s official website http://ficshows.com/en/the-walking-dead/home, regional Facebook and Twitter pages.
*Sources: IBOPE (Argentina: GBA Only, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Peru) – Persons 18-49 in Pay TV Universe, AUDITEL/AGB (Italy) AMR viewers People 18-49+ in Pay TV Universe, BARB (UK)- TRP viewers in Pay TV HH, KANTAR (Spain)- SOA viewers in Pay TV Universe
About FOX International Channels
FOX International Channels (FIC) is News Corporation’s international multi-media business. We develop, produce and distribute 350+ wholly- and majority-owned entertainment, factual, sports and movie channels across Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa, in 35 languages. These networks and their related mobile, non-linear and high-definition extensions, reach over 1.1 billion cumulative households worldwide. FIC is dedicated to delivering high quality content to its global viewers. We acquire, develop, produce and co-produce scripted and non-scripted programming for our linear and digital platforms including, most recently, the Golden Globes nominated and Emmy winner series, The Walking Dead. FIC owns and operates four production studios internationally, as well as a digital studio arm dedicated to the production of short form series.
AMC reigns as the only cable network in history to ever win the Emmy® Award for Outstanding Drama Series four years in a row, as well as the Golden Globe® Award for Best Television Series - Drama for three consecutive years. Whether commemorating favorite films from every genre and decade or creating acclaimed original programming, the AMC experience is an uncompromising celebration of great stories. AMC's original stories include “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad,” “The Walking Dead,” “The Killing” and “Hell on Wheels.” AMC further demonstrates its commitment to the art of storytelling with its slate of unscripted original series, as well as curated movie franchises like AMC’s Can’t Get Enough and AMC’s Crazy About. Available in more than 97 million homes (Source: Nielsen Media Research), AMC is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc. and its sister networks include IFC, Sundance Channel and WE tv. AMC is available across all platforms, including on-air, online, on demand and mobile. AMC: Story Matters HereSM.