‘Good Morning America’ Gaps With ‘Today’ Continue to Shrink

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

via press release:

ABC News’ “Good Morning America” drew 4.899 million Total Viewers and 1.829 million Adults 25-54 for the week of April 2, 2012. “GMA” grew its Total Viewer count for the 3rd week in a row (4.861 million on w/o 3/26/12) to draw its largest overall audience in 4 weeks – since w/o 3/5/12.


“GMA” was up year-to-year by +2% in Total Viewers and by +3% in Adults 25-54 (4.799 million and 1.784 million, respectively, on w/o 4/4/11), while NBC’s “Today” (-5%/12%) saw decreases.


On Wednesday (4/4/12) “GMA” ranked as the No. 1 morning newscast in Total Viewers, outdrawing NBC’s “Today” by +87,000 (5.236 million vs. 5.149 million). On Friday (4/6/12) GMA” was on par with “Today’s” performance in Total Viewers, behind by only 25,000 (4.694 million vs. 4.719 million).


Year-to-year “GMA” slashed its gaps with “Today” by more than half in both Total Viewers (-63% – 210,000 vs. 567,000) and Adults 25-54 (-53% – 306,000 vs. 649,000). In fact, in the last 4 weeks “GMA” has turned in its 4 smallest weekly news demo gaps with “Today” in nearly 4 years – since w/o 7/21/08. Further, “GMA” has cut its year-to-year Adults 25-54 margin with the NBC program by double digits in the last 14 weeks, and in 28 of 29 weeks this season.


Season to date “GMA” narrowed its gaps in both Total Viewers (-38%) and Adults 25-54 (-42%) versus its year-ago season gaps. In fact “GMA” is posting its smallest Total Viewer (501,000) and Adults 25-54 (437,000) margins with “Today” in 16 years – since the 1995-96 Season.


Season to date “GMA” is improving in Total Viewers (+5%) and Adults 25-54 (+8%) versus its year-ago averages, while NBC’s “Today” is down (-2%/-7%, respectively). “GMA” is seeing its largest overall season audience in 5 years, since 2006-07.



ABC 4,899,000 1,829,000

NBC 5,109,000 2,135,000



Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 3/26/12 & 4/4/11. Week of 4/2/12 based on Nielsen Fast Nationals. Most Current: 2011-2012 Season (9/19/11 – 4/8/12) and 2010-2011 Season (9/20/10 – 4/10/11).

blog comments powered by Disqus