FOX: If ‘Fringe’ Is Renewed Here Are 7 Reasons That Had Nothing To Do With It
Click this link for the latest FOX renewal / cancellation information: [rssinpage rssfeed=’http://feeds.feedburner.com/TvbythenumbersCancel/renewFOXShows’ rssitems=’1′ rssformat=’Y’]
Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows by the end of the 2011-12 season in May, 2012. (includes results from January 2- April 22, 2012):
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|I Hate My Teenage Daughter*||canceled||0.61|
|The Cleveland Show||renewed||0.67|
|Allen Gregory *||canceled||0.72|
|The Finder (part F)||😳||0.86|
|Terra Nova *||canceled||0.90|
4/26 Update: Fringe renewed for a final 13 episode season.
My partner in crime disagrees, but, as I have all season, I still have Fringe as a “toss up” for cancellation or renewal because of the ways syndication, or even *potential* syndication can effect the “normal” decision making process.
However, if Fringe is renewed, I’m sure fans will trumpet a variety of reasons why it happened, and FOX’s formal and informal PR apparatus will do its best to reinforce some of those reasons, here are some reasons that will have had nothing to do with it:
- Fox executives love the show! They love all their shows, even the ones they cancel.
- Fox wants scripted shows on Friday! Right up until they announce a schedule with no scripted shows on Friday. Fox wants to make money on Friday’s, they’ll do that the best way they can at the time. The “We want scripted shows on Friday” is convenient Hollywood-friendly PR while they still *have* scripted shows on Friday.
- Fox can’t get any better ratings on Fridays! Tell that to Gordon Ramsay.
- Fringe fans make people listen. They make people take notice. Have loud voices and are heard That’s just producer cheerleading. The only things that Fox execs “listen” to from the fans are the ratings.
- The critics love Fringe! Lone Star.
- It has great increases in DVR viewing! Big increases from a tiny base still equal tiny totals, compared to other Fox shows.
- Anna Torv is tangentially related to Rupert Murdoch! Rupert Murdoch would cancel a show starring his mother if the numbers didn’t add up.
What will be the real reason Fringe gets renewed if it happens? As I noted two weeks ago:
Bonus update: Photo replaced with a screen cap from a syndicated airing of ‘Til Death. Yes, doubters, if a ratings loser like ‘Til Death can be syndicated, so can Fringe!
The Renew / Cancel Index above includes results beginning January 2, 2012. How did FOX’s shows stack up based on their Fall results? Click here.
*shows no longer on the air have their Renew/Cancel Index “frozen” at the point they left the schedule.
- :oops: – certain to be cancelled by May, 2012
- 😥 :cry:- more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2012
- 😐😐 :| – toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2012
- :) – more likely to be renewed than cancelled by May, 2012
- :mrgreen: – certain to be renewed by May, 2012
The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show’s new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It’s calculated by dividing a show’s new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 average rating by the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show’s own network. The network’s average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
How would the Renew / Cancel Index Have Done Predicting Last Season’s Scripted Show Fates? Check out how the Renew / Cancel Index predicted renewals and cancellations from the 2010-11 broadcast television season.