ABC's 'Private Practice' Wins at 10pm and Grows its Hour Year to Year
via press note:
With Last Man Standing, Cougar Town, DWTS Results Show and Private Practice, ABC qualified as the 2nd-most-watched TV network on Tuesday to CBS, leading NBC (with The Voice Results and The Biggest Loser finale) by 2.2 million viewers and Fox by 4.1 million viewers. The Net also finished #2 on the evening with Adults 25-54.
At 8pm against CBS’ top-rated NCIS, ABC’s Last Man Standing drew a 12% larger audience than Fox’s Glee and edged out NBC’s season closer of The Biggest Loser 13. In fact, self-starter Last Man Standing once again registered as Tuesday’s most-watched comedy, attracting 2.1 million more viewers than Fox’s Glee-led New Girl in the 9pm half-hour.
- · ABC’s Last Man Standing retained all of its audience from its last original two weeks ago and shot up 100% in Teens 12-17, equaling its best number in 2 months with teens – since 2/28/12.
In the 8:30pm half-hour, ABC’s Cougar Town increased its audience for the 2nd week in a row (+2%) to mark its most-watched broadcast this season.
- · Cougar Town produced best-of-season lead-in retention for ABC coming out of Last Man Standing with Total Viewers (77%) and Adults 18-49 (93%).
Soaring over its lead-in at 9pm, ABC’s DWTS Results Show stood as the #2 most-watched show in its time period to CBS’ NCIS: LA, topping its unscripted competition on NBC (Voice Results) by 4.5 million viewers. In addition, the broad-appealing ABC dancing results show ranked #1 with Women 25-54 and finished as the #2 broadcast program in its time slot with Kids 2-11. Actor Jaleel White was the sixth celebrity dancer to be eliminated from the dance competition this season.
- · Scoring 4-week highs, ABC’s DWTS Results Show was up week to week in Adults 18-34 (+8%) and Women 18-34 (+6%).
During the 10 o’clock hour against all-original competition, ABC’s Private Practice ranked #1 for the 2nd week in a row, leading runner-up CBS’ Unforgettable by double digits in Adults 18-49 (+17%) and Adults 25-54 (+12%). Holding an impressive 91% of its Adult 18-49 lead-in, Private Practice continued to generate ABC’s strongest retention this season out of DWTS Results Show.
- · Despite facing increased competition in the time period, Private Practice retained nearly all of its week-ago numbers in Total Viewers (94%), Adults 18-34 (100%) and Adults 18-49 (95%).
- · Private Practice improved its time period year to year in Adults 18-49, topping original drama programming on the same night last year by 5%.