via press release:
- ABC is the No. 2 Net with Viewers, Adults 18-34 and Key Women in the Non-Sports Averages: Based on non-sports programming (to account for the inflated averages from professional and college sports coverage), ABC is the season’s No. 2 TV network in Total Viewers, Adults 18-34 and across all key Women.
- ABC Beats NBC by 26% in the Non-Sport Adults 18-49 Averages and Leads by 4% Excluding the Super Bowl: In the non-sports averages, ABC overpowers an NFL-driven NBC by 26% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/7 vs. 1.9/5). And excluding just the Super Bowl, NBC’s season average drops 2-tenths of a rating point, putting NBC -4% behind ABC for the season (2.4/7 vs. 2.3/6). In fact, ABC has beaten NBC on each of the last 8 weeks this season.
- ABC Demonstrates Perfect Audience Retention Year to Year: Season to date, ABC is retaining 100% of its primetime rating delivery in Adults 18-49. Looking across its schedule, ABC is up in nearly 1/3 of its half-hours among Adults 18-49 (30%).
- ABC is Up the Most in the 10pm Hour: On Monday-Friday from 10:00-11:00 p.m. as a lead-in to affiliates’ late-local news, ABC is delivering solid year-to-year improvement in Total Viewers (+8%) and Adults 25-54 (+7%). In fact, ABC is up the most among the major nets on both Nielsen measures.
- ABC’s Scores Strong Gains Over Last Season with Returning and New Shows: ABC claims some of TV’s fastest-growing returning series this season in Adults 18-49: “The Middle” (+4% - best-ever season), “Modern Family” (+17% - best-ever season), “Happy Endings” (+43% over Season 1), “Private Practice” (+7%) and “Shark Tank” (+29% - best-ever season). And the Net’s key new programs are substantially improving their time slots: “Last Man Standing” (+42%), “Suburgatory” (+25%), “Don’t Trust the B--- in Apartment 23” (+23%), “Revenge” (+45%), “Scandal” (+33%), “Once Upon a Time” (+67%) and “GCB” (+32%).
- ABC Claims Some of the Season’s Highest-Rated TV Series: ABC claims the season’s No. 1 scripted series/comedy (“Modern Family”), the No. 1 drama (“Grey’s”) and the No. 1 freshman drama (“Once Upon a Time” – TV’s top rated new drama series in 4 years). In fact, it is the 2nd straight season for “Modern Family“ to stand as TV’s highest rated scripted show, as ABC has delivered TV’s No. 1 scripted series in 6 of the last 8 television seasons. Led by “Once Upon a Time,” the Net claims 10 of the Top 20 new series this season in Adults 18-49, the most for any network.
- ABC’s Wednesday Night Comedy Block Grows for the 2nd Year in a Row: For the 2nd year in a row, ABC’s Wednesday 8:00-10:00 p.m. comedy block is growing year over year with Total Viewers (+3%) and Adults 18-49 (+6%).
- ABC is a Big Draw with Upscale Young Adults: Among Adults 18-49 in homes with $100K+ Annual Income in the non-sports numbers, ABC is the No. 2 network for the season, beating CBS (+4%) and NBC (+22%). ABC claims 8 of the Top 25 TV series this season among high-income young adults (the most for any network), including the No. 1 entertainment series overall with “Modern Family.”
- ABC is Home to the Top Broadcast Series for “Family Coviewing”: ABC is home to 7 of the Top 15 programs on the major networks this season in “Family Coviewing.” “Wipeout” and “America’s Funniest Home Videos” are the Top 2 shows overall, “Once Upon a Time” (the most coviewed drama in the last decade) is the No. 1 drama and “The Middle” is the No. 1 live-action comedy.
· ABC Series Rank Among the Most Popularly Recorded and Played Back: ABC series are once again among the most popularly recorded and played back TV shows, as “Modern Family” is picking up a record-setting 2.5 Adult 18-49 rating points from the L+SD to the L+7 numbers. With a significant rise in DVR penetration year to year (41% to 44%), a total of 8 of ABC’s series add 2.0 million viewers or more on average from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing. In fact, “Modern” is TV’s the biggest overall gainer, picking up 4.8 million viewers via playback after its initial day of air.