Univision to Finish 2011-2012 Broadcast Season With More No. 1 Nights Than Ever Before
via press release:
UNIVISION TO FINISH 2011-2012 BROADCAST SEASON WITH
MORE No.1 NIGHTS THAN EVER BEFORE
Leads Industry with 94% Live Viewing, 68% Unduplicated Audience and Median Age of 36 vs. Competitors’ Combined Average of 50-plus
Among Adults 18-34, Univision has more No.1 Nights than NBC, CBS or ABC, and for Fifth Consecutive Season is No. 1 on Fridays
MIAMI, FL – MAY 23, 2011 – Univision Communications, the leading media company serving Hispanic America, today announced that its flagship Univision Network will finish the 2011/2012 broadcast season with more No.1 nights than ever before among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. Powered by a young, live and unduplicated audience – as well as 47 of the season’s top 50 entertainment programs among bilingual Hispanics ages 18-49 – Univision continues to be the fifth-largest network in primetime among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34, regardless of language.
Univision out-performed at least one or more English-language broadcasters – ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC – on nearly every night throughout the 2011/12 season, among Adults 18-34 (225 out of 245 nights) and on two out of every three nights among Adults 18-49 (160 of 245 nights). This includes out-performing NBC on more nights versus last season among both Adults 18-34 (191 vs. 162) and Adults 18-49 (128 vs. 105).
“Young viewers continue to look to Univision’s novelas, reality series, sports, news and special events as some of the most exciting and entertaining programming that can’t be found anywhere else on television,” said Cesar Conde, president of Univision Networks. “Each broadcast season – and year-round – we continue to show how much our audience values the culturally relevant content that we offer, and Univision has now established itself as a top four broadcast network or better nearly every single night.”
Univision will finish the 2011/12 broadcast season once again showing its strength among Adults 18-34, having more No.1 nights than any network except FOX during primetime. In fact Univision had more No.1 nights in this demographic than NBC, CBS or ABC, and was the No.1 network on Fridays among Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34 during broadcast primetime (8-11 p.m.) for the fifth consecutive season. Among Adults 18-49, Univision was the No.3 network on Friday night, ahead of ABC, NBC and CW.
Outside of primetime, Univision with its national evening network news program, “Noticiero Univision,” is showing audience increases among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 while the evening newscasts on ABC, CBS and NBC are either down or individually flat. In fact, the combined average for “ABC World News Tonight,” “CBS Evening News” and “NBC Nightly News” are down 8% and 7% among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54, respectively, while “Noticiero Univision” is showing 5% growth, season-to-season. And among young Adults 18-34, Univision’s news audience is 10% higher than “CBS Evening News.”
Additional Univision Network 2011/2012 Broadcast Season Highlights:
- The network is set to finish the season with an average audience of 3.6 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.9 million Adults 18-49, 1.1 million Adults 18-34 and 1.2 million Persons 12-34 during broadcast primetime.
- Univision has more No.1 nights in the 2011/2012 broadcast season versus comparable period last year during broadcast prime among Adults 18-34 (48 nights vs. 43 nights) and Adults 18-49 (19 nights vs. 16 nights).
- Live: 94% of Univision’s primetime programming viewed live during the season – commercial messages are not fast forwarded and therefore have more impact.
- Young: Univision and TeleFutura are the youngest broadcast networks, regardless of language, both with an estimated primetime median age of 36. This is an entire generation younger than ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, which have a combined median age of 50+.
- Bilingual: According to Nielsen, 47 out of the top 50 most-popular entertainment programs on television among Bilingual Hispanic Adults 18-49 this season have been on Univision.
· Unduplicated: 68% of Univision’s primetime Adult 18-49 audience is unduplicated – viewers that are not watching any of the top-rated English-language Networks, broadcast or cable.