via press release:
Season Debut of Social Media Marvel “Pretty Little Liars” is TV’s #1 Telecast
in Females 12-34 and the #1 Scripted TV Show in Women 18-34/Viewers 12-34
~Is the #1 “Most Social” Season Premiere on Record According to SocialGuide,
and the #2 “Most-Social” 1-Hour Episode Ever, Behind the Series’ 2B Finale
~Amasses 534,000 Tweets, Including 100,000 in the First 5 Minutes, Peaking
at 34,000 per Minute; All-Day Total is an Impressive 1.3 Million Tweets
Season 1B Launch of “Jane By Design” is the Series’ #2 Telecast on Record;
Exceeds 1A Averages by Double-Digit Percent Margins in Target Demos
“Pretty Little Liars” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC Family’s season 3 premiere of social media phenomenon, “Pretty Little Liars” ranked as Tuesday’s #1 TV telecast in Females 12-34 (1.7 million/3.7 rating) and Female Teens (854,000/7.3 rating), the #1 scripted TV telecast in Women 18-34 (845,000/2.5 rating) and Viewers 12-34 (1.9 million/2.1 rating), and was the #1 scripted TV telecast at 8 o’clock in Adults 18-34 (980,000/1.4 rating) and Women 18-49 (1.2 milion/1.8 rating).
Social media sites exploded as the premiere, in which Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer find themselves back on the defensive when a shocking event rocks Rosewood, became the “most-social” season premiere on record, according to SocialGuide, generating over 791,000 comments by more than 405,000 unique users, nearly doubling the series’ season 2B premiere (429,000 comments/228,000 unique users – 1/2/12). Moreover, the telecast now stands as the #2 “most-social” 1-hour episode of all time, behind only the series’ season 2B finale (3/19/12).
On Twitter, the “Pretty Little Liars” debut generated more than 534,000 Tweets, including 100,000 in the first five minutes, peaking at an impressive 34,000 Tweets per minute. Also impressive, airing an all-day “Pretty Little Liars” catch-up marathon, the show generated more than 1.3 million tweets (1,317,951). Jenn Deering Davis, Founder of TweetReach, said: "One of the reasons ‘Pretty Little Liars’ is so successful on Twitter is they keep their fans engaged even when the show isn't on the air through their use of ‘content exhaust’ - sharing behind-the-scenes photos and tweets from the cast and crew. And when it is on the air, ‘Pretty Little Liars’ plays to Twitter's real-time strengths, with lots of cliffhangers and edge-of-your-seat moments. Fans want to discuss these moments with their friends, and Twitter lets them do that during the show. The shows that generate the most buzz on Twitter are the ones that just have to be watched live, and ‘Pretty Little Liars’ has become one of those shows. The Twitter numbers behind tonight's premiere further demonstrate that, generating impressive engagement for the typically slow summer season."
- At 8 o’clock, “Pretty Little Liars” was cable’s #1 program in Women 18-34, Women 18-49, Viewers 12-34 and Females 12-34, and the #2 scripted program in the hour in Adults 18-34 and Adults 18-49 (1.4 million/1.1 rating), behind only ESPN’s NBA Playoff coverage.
- As a reminder, during its season 2B, “Pretty Little Liars” recorded impressive gains by DVR playback, adding 1 million more Total Viewers (2.7 million to 3.7 million) and surging by double-digit percentages across all target demos, including by 40% in Adults 18-34 (1.0 million to 1.4 million), by 36% in Adults 18-49 (1.4 million to 1.9 million) and by 32% in Viewers 12-34 (1.9 million to 2.5 million).
- Moreover, in addition to linear viewing, “Pretty Little Liars” experienced significant viewership online and on VOD, adding close to 1.2 million total views per episode online and through VOD within 7 days of its TV airing.
“Jane By Design” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
The season 1B launch of “Jane By Design” stood as the series’ #2 telecast on record in Adults 18-34 (531,000/0.8 rating) and Women 18-34 (427,000/1.3 rating), out-performing its series launch in January 2012.
- “Jane By Design” ranked as cable’s #1 scripted program in the hour in Women 18-34 and Females 12-34 (770,000/1.7 rating) and was the #1 TV telecast at 9 o’clock in Female Teens (342,000/2.9 rating).
- “Jane By Design” surged over its season 1A average (1/3/12-3/6/12) across the board, including by 22% in Women 18-34 (427,000 vs. 351,000), by 14% in Women 18-49 (585,000 vs. 513,000) and by 13% in Females 12-34 (770,000 vs. 682,000).
About ABC Family:
Part of the Disney/ABC Television Group, ABC Family is distributed in over 97 million homes. ABC Family features programming reflecting today’s families, entertaining and connecting with adults through relatable programming about today’s relationships – told with a mix of diversity, passion, humor and heart. ABC Family’s programming is a combination of network defining original series and original movies, quality acquired series and blockbuster theatricals. Emmy® Award-winning ABCFamily.com provides a variety of interactive entertainment and community features, from rich, fan-centric programming – including blogs, viewing parties, webisodes, full episodes of the network’s hit programming, along with sneak peek exclusive previews and behind-the-scenes clips. ABC Family is also the destination for annual Holiday events with “13 Nights of Halloween” and “25 Days of Christmas.” ABC Family. A New Kind of Family.
Source: NTI, U.S. ratings, 6/5/12, Live + Same Day. Social Media Sources: TweetReach, Trendrr and SocialGuide. DVR gains = L+7 vs. L+SD.