via press release:
SEASON FIVE OF “”
IS THE MOST WATCHED SEASON TO DATE
SEASON FIVE FINISHES UP +15% OVER SEASON FOUR
MOST WATCHED SEASON FINALE IN SERIES HISTORY
New York, NY – June 11, 2012 –Last night, AMC concluded season five of “,” which resulted in the most watched season to date with an average of 2.6 million viewers increasing 15% over last season’s average. Last night’s finale marks the highest finale in the series history with a 2.0 HH and 2.7 million viewers. Among the core demo of Adults 25-54, “ ” delivered 1.4 million viewers marking an increase of +13% versus the season four finale. “ ” is a top 3 original drama series each week among Adults 25-54 on basic cable.
"Matthew Weiner and his remarkable team have again delivered a season of television beyond compare. We couldn't be more proud of this program and the brilliant writers, cast and crew that bring it to life,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As in each season prior, season five is now ‘Mad Men's’ most-watched season, an uncommon television growth record and a testament to the ongoing quality and uniqueness of this rare property. I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the record live-same-day Nielsen ratings that gain so much attention are only a small part of the ‘Mad Men’ success story. Congratulations to the entire ‘Mad Men’ team on another terrific season.”
"We make 'Mad Men' for the fans. My goal is to tell a compelling story and entertain people and it thrills me that people keep watching,” said Matthew Weiner, creator and executive producer.
Key Nielsen Highlights for “Mad Men’s” season five:
- “Mad Men” is amongst the most engaging drama series on basic cable, providing the highest percent of live 7 to live viewing gains among Adults 25-54.*
- “Mad Men” adds an average of 1.9 million additional viewers within live plus 3 to live and an additional 2.3 million viewers within live plus 7 to live. “Mad Men” averaged 4.2 million live plus 7 total viewers increasing 121% vs. live.
- The series continues to be cable's most upscale drama series with 49% of its Adult 25-54 audience maintaining a household income of $100K+.***
- On iTunes season five currently reigns in the top five for cable dramas.
- On Netflix, the first episode of the first season is the series most watched episode.
Source: *11/12 Season to Date. Live 7 to Live A25-54 viewership among basic cable drama series. ** Mad Men Season 5 (3/25/12-6/10/12). *** Live + Same Day. % composition of A25-54 HHI $100K+ of Mad Men Season 5 compared to all other basic cable original drama series from 1Q11 to date. Premiere episodes.
Key Nielsen Highlights for “Mad Men’s” season five finale:
- 10pm airing: 2.0 HH rating with 2.7 million viewers: +9%/+11% vs. season 4 finale
- 10pm airing: 1.4 million Adults 25-54: +13% vs. season 4 finale
- 10pm airing: 1.2 million Adults 18-49: +11% vs. season 4 finale
Source: The Nielsen Company. Live + SD. 6/10/12 vs S4 finale 10/17/10.
Key Nielsen Highlights for “Mad Men’s” full season five:
- 1.9 HH rating with 2.6 million viewers: +10%/+15% vs. season 4 average
- 1.3 million viewers - Adults 25-54: +10% vs. season 4 average
- 1.1 million viewers - Adults 18-49: +17% vs. season 4 average
Source: Source: The Nielsen Company. Live + SD. S5 3/25-6/10/12 vs S4 7/25-10/17/10.
Created by Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Matthew Weiner and produced by Lionsgate, “Mad Men” made history last September as the first basic cable series ever to win the Emmy® for Outstanding Drama Series in four consecutive years. Set in 1960s New York, “Mad Men” is a sexy and provocative drama that follows the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising. The season premiere episode is also available on amctv.com.