via press release:
June 17, 2012
NBC SCORES STRONG OVERNIGHT RATINGS FOR 112TH U.S. OPEN
Best U.S. Open 3RD Round Rating In a Decade
Golf Channel on Pace for Best U.S. Open Week Ever
NBC scored the best U.S. Open Championship third-round rating in a decade on Saturday, building on the momentum Golf Channel gained earlier in the week with its Live From the U.S. Open coverage and setting additional milestones for the NBC Sports Group.
NBC’s third-round coverage (4-10:30 p.m. ET) did a 5.5 overnight rating and a 13 share, which was up 53 percent over last year and the best in a decade (2002, 6.4/16).
• This is NBC’s third ‘primetime’ U.S. Open, following Torrey Pines in 2008 (5.3) and Pebble Beach in 2010 (4.5). Yesterday’s 5.5 was up four
and 22 percent, respectively, vs. those previous primetime U.S. Open third rounds.
• The rating peaked at a 6.4/12 in the 9:30-10 p.m. ET half-hour.
• NBC’s coverage of Round One (2.1/6) was up 50% vs. last year’s and the best in six years (2006, also a 2.1); and Round Two (2.3/7) was
up 64 percent vs. 2011 and the best since 2008 (2.4).
• Live from the U.S. Open, Golf Channel’s pre-game show which aired on NBC from 3-4 p.m. ET on Saturday, did a 2.1/6 which was the highest
for this show this year on NBC.
• In San Francisco, third-round coverage received a 8.1 overnight rating and a 25 share, up 145% vs. last year and the highest local rating in
the market since 2000 (8.6/24).
Riding the momentum of four consecutive “best-ever” months of viewership, Golf Channel began its news coverage of the U.S. Open as the fastest growing network on television that serve more than 80 million homes. More than 40 hours of the network’s signature Live From the U.S. Open coverage was planned for the week, which is on pace to become Golf Channel’s best U.S. Open Week ever – surpassing highs of 2008 and 2009.
• Monday (65,000 average viewers/up 12 percent versus 2011), Wednesday (121,000/+73 percent) and Friday (108,000/+61 percent) were
the most-watched U.S. Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday in Golf Channel history.
• The Golf Fix, Golf Channel’s instructional show with energetic host Michael Breed, aired live on Monday night from The Olympic Club and
was most-watched The Golf Fix ever (169,000).
• Live From the U.S. Open (0.3/276,000) on Thursday (9 a.m.-Noon ET) was the highest-rated and most-watched weekday Live From telecast
ever, including all daytime and primetime telecasts (excluding the Monday playoff in 2008). The same show on Friday (0.3/253,000) became
the second-highest-rated and second-most-watched behind Thursday.
Source: NBC -- Live Same Day US HH Rtgs using Metered Market Overnight data; Golf Channel -- Live Same Day Cvg HH Rtgs and P2+ 000's using Time Period Cable data. Details available.
--THE NBC SPORTS GROUP—