via press release:
CBS Sports Special Explores Athleticism on PGA TOUR
PGA TOUR 2012: The Sport of Golf presented by Allegheny Sports Medicine airs June 30
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR has seen a cultural shift over the past decade when it comes to strength and conditioning. No longer is preparation simply a matter of hitting balls. Exercise regimens have become a necessary part of the routine, even on days of competition. Tiger Woods brought a whole new level of physical preparation to the sport, and now true athleticism reigns supreme and is evident everywhere on the PGA TOUR.
PGA TOUR 2012: The Sport of Golf presented by Allegheny Sports Medicine, a one-hour CBS Sports special airing Saturday, June 30 at 2 p.m. ET, explores how the sport has been revolutionized by this trend and how it has impacted the sport. It examines what it takes to compete on the PGA TOUR and how strength and conditioning translate into better performance.
Produced by PGA TOUR Entertainment in high definition, PGA TOUR 2012: The Sport of Golf presented by Allegheny Sports Medicine also explores how these athletes achieve the mental focus to become champions. The show also will delve into the mechanics of the golf swing and the toll the sport takes on the body.
To that end, Allegheny Sports Medicine physicians Patrick DeMeo, MD, Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Division Director of Sports Medicine, and Edward Snell, MD, discuss topics such as workout regimens and the importance of strength, flexibility and nutrition. Allegheny Sports Medicine is a new Official Marketing Partner of the PGA TOUR and sponsors the Player Mobile Health and Fitness Trailers that travel to each tournament site on the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour.
Other featured elements of the show include:
- Workouts of PGA TOUR stars (Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, Webb Simpson, Camilo Villegas, Scott Stallings, and Bud Cauley.)
- Steve Marino – Focus on his rehab from knee injury and document his comeback.
- Ben Curtis – Examine the mental toll the game takes, and profile how Curtis has persevered, winning the 2012 Valero Texas Open after a 6-year absence from the winner’s circle.
- Who is the best athlete on the PGA TOUR?
- Strength vs. flexibility – the balance between the two. What are the best exercises to train for golf? What muscles are needed most during a round of golf? The role of conditioning and avoiding fatigue on the back nine.
Watch PGA TOUR 2012: The Sport of Golf presented by Allegheny Sports Medicine on CBS Sports Saturday, June 30 at 2 p.m., prior to third-round coverage of the AT&T National.