Univision Provides Hispanic America With Unparalleled Access To U.S. Presidential Candidates
via press release:
UNIVISION PROVIDES HISPANIC AMERICA WITH UNPARALLELED ACCESS TO U.S. PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES
“Meet The Candidates” Broadcasts Reach More Than 4 Million Viewers Each Night
MIAMI, SEPTEMBER 21, 2012 – Univision Communications, Inc., the leading media company serving Hispanic America, recently made history by providing its audience with first-of-its-kind access to the two major party presidential candidates. Held on September 19 and 20, respectively, the “Meet The Candidates” events with Governor Mitt Romney (R) and President Barack Obama (D) were initially streamed live online and then broadcast on the Univision Network in primetime. Hosted at the University of Miami BankUnited Center Fieldhouse by Univision News and Facebook, and moderated by award-winning news anchors Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas, the events gave the presidential candidates the opportunity to discuss education and other topics of importance for the U.S. Hispanic community.
“These events marked the first time during the general election that the presidential candidates addressed Hispanic Americans, something that we of course feel is essential during a campaign season in which this growing portion of the population will be showing great influence,” said Randy Falco, president and CEO of Univision Communications. “We couldn’t be happier with the success of these two ‘Meet The Candidate’ events, as a sign of the power of the Univision brand and the importance of our audience.”
Ratings highlights from Univision’s broadcast of “El Gran Encuentro con Mitt Romney” (Meet the Candidate Event with Mitt Romney) include:
- · On Wednesday, September 19 at 10 p.m., the event reached 4.2 million viewers that watched all or part of the one-hour special broadcast.
- · The conversation with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney averaged 2.8 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.4 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54.
- · In the time period “El Gran Encuentro con Mitt Romney” made Univision:
- o No. 2 broadcast network, behind CBS, among Adults 18-34
- o No. 3 broadcast network, beating ABC, among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54
- · On Univision local stations, “El Gran Encuentro con Mitt Romney” ranked as the No. 1 broadcast program among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Houston and Phoenix and No. 1 among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles and Houston. The forum also ranked as the No. 2 broadcast program among Adults 18-34 in Chicago, San Francisco and Sacramento and No. 2 among Adults 18-49 in San Francisco and Phoenix.
Ratings highlights from Univision’s broadcast of “El Gran Encuentro con Presidente Obama” (Meet the Candidate Event with President Obama) include:
- · On Thursday, September 20 at 10 p.m., the event reached 4.3 million viewers that watched all or part of the one-hour special broadcast.
- · The conversation with President Barack Obama averaged 2.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.3 million Adults 18-49 and 1.4 million Adults 25-54.
- · In the time period, “El Gran Encuentro con Presidente Obama” made Univision the No. 1 broadcast network among Adults 18-34.
- · On Univision local stations, “El Gran Encuentro con Presidente Obama” ranked No. 1 among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Houston and Phoenix; and No. 2 among Adults 18-49 in San Francisco. Among Adults 18-34, Univision’s forum ranked No. 1 in Los Angeles, Houston, Phoenix, and Sacramento.
- · Univision’s Meet the Candidate event with Barack Obama last night performed higher than his speech at the Democratic National Convention with Adults 18-49 throughout the country. On Univision local stations the forum delivered more Adult 18-49 viewers in Los Angeles (by +21%), New York (+38%), Miami (+50%), Houston (+55%), Chicago (+33%), San Francisco (+200%) and Phoenix (+33%).
To view video highlights from “El Gran Encuentro con Mitt Romney” in English, please visit http://noticias.univision.com/destino-2012/videos/encuentro-mitt-romney-english/. For English-language videos from “El Gran Encuentro con Presidente Obama,” please visit http://noticias.univision.com/destino-2012/videos/encuentro-barack-obama-english/ .
Univision News is continuing to cover the lead-up to the 2012 Presidential Election across all platforms, in both Spanish and English. This includes election coverage on UnivisionNoticias.com and the Noticias Univision app.
Univision’s award-winning News division is committed to informing the country’s fastest growing segment across all media platforms, including TV, Radio, and Interactive. Hispanics count on the latest and most relevant content that impact the community through: Univision’s evening, late evening and weekend national newscasts; Sunday public affairs show “Al Punto” (To The Point); newsmagazine programs “Aqui y Ahora” (Here and Now) and “Primer Impacto” (First Impact); as well as morning news on “Despierta America” (Wake Up America). In the last year, Univision has strengthened its news team and expanded its news operations by adding Investigative and Documentary Units.
Source: The Nielsen Company, Wednesday (09/19/2012) and Thursday (09/20/2012) 10:00pm-11:00pm. Univision’s “Noticias Univision Presenta: Encuentro con Mitt Romney” and “Noticias Univision Presenta: El Gran Encuentro con Presidente Obama” special airings based on NPM Fast National Ratings and the English-language broadcast networks based on NPM Fast Affiliate Ratings. Reach based on NPM Fast Cume, Persons 2+, 6+ minute qualified audience (visitors included). Live+SD. The Nielsen Company, NSI, Wednesday (09/19/2012) and Thursday (09/20/2012) 10:00-11:00p. Comparison to the Democratic National Convention on Univision stations aired 10:00pm-11:00pm eastern time, live across time zones. Live+SD