ABC is the Top Broadcaster in Total Viewers on First Night of TV Season
via press release:
ABC is the Top Broadcaster in Total Viewers on First Night of TV Season,
Opening the Season as the Most-Watched Broadcast Net for the 5th Time in 6 Years
Season Opener of “DWTS: All-Stars” Makes ABC Most-Watched Net from 8-10pm,
Outdrawing NBC’s “The Voice” by 2.7 Million Viewers
ABC’s “Castle” Premieres its 5th Season as the Most-Watched Drama at 10pm,
While Posting its Top Adults 18-49 Performance in Nearly 1 Year
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Despite facing NBC’s “The Voice” for the first time ever on the opening night of a TV season, ABC (13.5 million) finished as the top broadcaster on season premiere Monday with the openers of “DWTS: All-Stars” and “Castle,” outdrawing NBC by 2.5 million viewers (11.0 million – “The Voice”/”Revolution”), CBS by 5.1 million viewers (8.4 million – “HIMYM”/”Partners”/”2 Broke Girls”/”Mike & Molly”/”Hawaii Five-0”) and Fox by 7.9 million viewers (5.6 million – “Bones”/”The Mob Doctor”). In fact, it was ABC’s 5th time in the last 6 years to open as the most-watched broadcaster on the first Monday of the season. In addition, ABC (2.6/7) finished in a virtual tie with CBS among Adults 18-49 (2.7/7) and beat out Fox’s prime by 53% (1.7/5).
- In Adults 18-49, ABC equaled its highest rated Monday in 5 months – since 4/23/12.
“Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
Building its audience from its first hour to its second hour opposite stiff competition, the 15th season opener of “Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars” made ABC the most-watched net in its time slot (14.6 million), outdrawing NBC’s The Voice by 2.7 million viewers (11.9 million) in head-to-head competition from 8:00-10:00 p.m. In addition, the ABC unscripted series beat out Fox’s dramas in the 2-hour time period by 59% in Adults 18-49 (2.7/7 vs. 1.7/5) and CBS’ comedy premieres among Adults 25-54 (3.8/9 vs. 3.7/9).
- “DWTS: All-Stars” attracted ABC’s biggest audience in the time period since early May and its top young adult number since April – since 5/7/12 and 4/30/12, respectively
“Castle” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
TV’s most-watched series during the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s 5th season opener of “Castle” outdrew NBC’s “Revolution” by 2.1 million viewers (11.4 million vs. 9.3 million), while defeating CBS’ opener of “Hawaii Five-0” by more than 3.0 million viewers (11.4 million vs. 8.0 million) and by double digits in both Adults 18-49 (+32% – 2.5/6 vs. 1.9/5) and Adults 25-54 (+32% – 3.3/8 vs. 2.5/6).
- ABC’s Castle scored its best Adult 18-49 rating in nearly 1-year – since 10/31/11.
DVR Playback Notes (based on originals during the 2011-12 TV Season):
- Last season “DWTS” saw gains over its first-reported numbers of 1.1 million viewers and 4-tenths of an Adult 18-49 rating point (+13%) from the initially reported Live + Same Day ratings to the Live + 7 Day playback finals.
- One of TV’s biggest gainers in the 10 o’clock hour last season, “Castle” generated substantial increases over its first-reported numbers, picking up an average of 3.0 million viewers and an additional 9-tenths of an Adult 18-49 rating point (+39%) from the L+SD to the L+7 numbers.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 45% currently, from 42% at the same point in 2011. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.