via press release:
FRUGAL FAMILIES STRETCH A DOLLAR ON TLC’S EXTREME CHEAPSKATES
Six episodes will premiere Tuesday, October 16th at 10/9c
TLC introduces America’s most extreme penny pinchers with the new savings series, EXTREME CHEAPSKATES. The series follows individuals who look for unique ways to cut costs by any means necessary, from dumpster diving for dinner, once-a-week toilet flushing and reusing dental floss.
Airing over three weeks, the first of six half-hour episodes will premiere on Tuesday, October 16th at 10/9c. The network aired the EXTREME CHEAPSKATES pilot on December 28th, 2011 which garnered a 1.2 HHand was viewed by an average of 1.6M P2+. This series is continuing the network's exploration of people who go to remarkable lengths to save money for themselves and their families.
Meet the nine nifty-thrifty folks who are determined to live life on the cheap:
- Kay- [New York, NY] finds most of her savings in the dumpster. Living in Manhattan means having access to fine dining, and the discarded perishables that go along with it. Kay also saves big by washing her clothes when she showers, and shutting off the gas valve.
- Terence—[Oakland, CA] goes through life without spending money: he picks up loose change, doles out a tiny allowance to his family, refuses to buy furniture and never takes his family out to eat.
- Greg—[Cincinnati, OH] is a Zumba instructor who only flushes his toilet once per week. Greg reuses plastic utensils, and makes money by participating in medical tests… even if it means applying ointment to his rear end.
- Victoria – [Columbus, OH] is a self-made millionaire who obsessively keeps track of her budget, and is thrown for a loop as her boyfriend Steve moves in on a trial basis to see if he can handle her “flush free” lifestyle, which involves personalized urine jars.
- Roy—[Huntington, VT] reuses his dental floss, picks through trash, and makes his own household cleaning supplies. He reuses coffee grinds several times, takes advantage of ice cream samples and gets free refills at the movies from leftovers discovered in the trash.
- Ben – [Austin, TX] is very crafty when it comes to his miserliness. Ben uses his dishwasher to clean his clothes, makes his own toothpaste and uses cornstarch to keep himself cool since he lives without air conditioning in the sweltering Texas heat.
- Jeff – [Accokeek, MD] has been living the cheapskate lifestyle for most of his adult life. Jeff uses his bicycle as his primary means of transportation and claims he’s saved over $50,000. He takes low-cost vacations by couch surfing and helps a family participate in a cheapskate boot camp that includes a “trash can autopsy.”
- Vickie—[Ashton, ID] a mother of five who refuses to shell out cash for a telephone, a television or even new clothes for the kids. Vickie hunts for road kill in order to save money on gifts for the kids.
- Abdul – [Sioux Falls, SD] is the ultimate haggler. He takes pride in negotiating a cheap price for everything, from fast food, gas, and utilities, right down to the balloons and cake for the anniversary party he plans for his wife.
TLC follows these cheapskates as they take savings to a whole new level, even if it means mortifying friends and family. EXTREME CHEAPSKATES is produced by Stephen David Entertainment and Stephen David serves as EP of the series.