via press release:
NFL NETWORK’S A FOOTBALL LIFE EXAMINES LOS ANGELES RAMS’ FEARSOME FOURSOME
The Most Dominant Defensive Line in NFL History Profiled on Wednesday, October 10 at 8:00 PM ET
Narrated by Jennifer Allen, Daughter of Former Rams Head Coach George Allen
“We were perfect together. A perfect marriage.” – Deacon Jones
In the mid-1960s, the Los Angeles Rams were anchored by “the Fearsome Foursome,” the most feared and famous defensive line in NFL history. On the football field, Deacon Jones,Olsen, Rosey Grier and Lamar Lundy were an unstoppable force, terrorizing opposing quarterbacks and offenses. Yet it was the unbreakable bond off the field that connected the four men long after their playing careers were over.
NFL Network’s Emmy-nominated series A Football Life continues Wednesday, October 10 at 8:00 PM ET with a look at the life and times of the Los Angeles Rams’ stout defensive line, collectively known as “the Fearsome Foursome.”
Jennifer Allen, the daughter of former Los Angeles Rams head coach George Allen, narrates the one-hour documentary and conducts interviews with Jones, Grier and family members of all four men.
Together on the football field, the Fearsome Foursome achieved tremendous success and acclaim, developing a reputation withstanding the test of time. However, their playing careers were simply springboards for their lives off the field as musicians, actors, businessmen, philanthropists and much more.
In addition to interviews with those who knew them the best, The Fearsome Foursome: A Football Life includes video of past interviews with each player and from their practices, games and various speaking events. Also, NFL Films captured Jones’ jersey retirement ceremony with the Rams in 2009, and Grier attending the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver.
The Fearsome Foursome: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people:
Deacon Jones – Hall of Fame Los Angeles Rams defensive end
Rosey Grier – Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle
Dick Enberg – Los Angeles Rams broadcaster, 1966-77
Elizabeth Jones – Deacon Jones’ wife
Bruce Allen – George Allen’s son
Susan Olsen –Olsen’s wife
Phil Olsen –Olsen’s brother
Jill Olsen –Olsen’s daughter
Nathan Olsen – Merlin Olsen’s son
Kelly Olsen – Merlin Olsen’s daughter
Dick Vermeil – Former NFL head coach
Lamar Lundy III – Lamar Lundy’s son
Roger Brown – Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle, 1967-69
For the first look at The Fearsome Foursome: A Football Life, visit:
Following are select quotes from The Fearsome Foursome: A Football Life:
- “We were perfect together. A perfect marriage.” – Deacon Jones
- “[George Allen] let us run free. He wanted us to rush the passer, [put] pressure on the quarterback; ‘heat’ they called it. We gave him heat every down.” – Deacon Jones
- “As you called the game, it became part of the excitement when the defense went on the field.” – Dick Enberg
- “I got to feel [like] being inside Disneyland. These were bigger than life characters.” – Bruce Allen
- “What I saw was an opportunity to have a team like we had in New York…I believed that with these guys, with the height they had and the speed we had, we were going to be devastating out on the football field.” – Rosey Grier
- “[Deacon Jones] was absolutely fascinating to watch play the game…I didn’t know it was possible for a guy to do what he could do.” – Dick Vermeil
- “The love – genuine love – between the four of them is something extraordinary to see.” – Elizabeth Jones
Below is the remaining broadcast schedule for A Football Life, airing on Wednesday nights at 8:00 PM ET:
- October 17 – Steve McNair
- October 24 – Eddie DeBartolo
- October 31 – Chris Spielman
- November 7 – Jimmy Johnson
- November 21 – John Riggins
- December 5 – Barry Sanders
- December 12 – Marcus Allen
- December 19 – The Immaculate Reception
Airing throughout the NFL season, A Football Life examines the iconic individuals and subjects that have had an undeniable and profound impact on the history of the National Football League, offering an inside look into their untold stories.
Every episode of A Football Life and all NFL Network programming is streamed live on NFL Mobile from Verizon, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log on to www.nfl.com/nflnetwork. NFL.com is the exclusive internet home of NFL Network.