'

TV Ratings Friday: 'Shark Tank' Hits Series High, 'Nikita' Premieres Low, 'Grimm,' 'CSI: NY' & 'Blue Bloods' Down

Categories: '

Written By

October 20th, 2012

FOX  ABC CBS NBC CW
Adults 18-49: rating/Share 1.7/6 1.7/6 1.1/4 1.1/4 0.5/2
Total Viewers (million) 6.361 5.795 8.359 4.161 1.210

ABC and Fox tied for number one in adults 18-49, while CBS was on top in total viewers.

Note: Due to live baseball coverage,  FOX's ratings are subject to more than the usual adjustment in the finals.

On ABC, Shark Tank garnered a series high 2.0  adults 18-49 rating, up 11% from last week's 1.8.  Primetime: What Would You Do? earned a season-high 1.6, up 14% from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. 20/20 notched a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week.

On FOX, Baseball scored a preliminary 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, though that number will probably be adjusted in the finals.

On CBS, CSI: NY earned a 1.2, down 14% from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Blue Bloods scored a 1.3 down 7% from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating.

On NBC  Grimm notched a 1.4, down 13% from last week's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating. Dateline NBC earned a 1.3 among adults 18-49, even with last week.

On the CW, America’s Next Top Model garnered a  0.6 adults 18-49 rating, up 20% from an 0.5 for the last original episode on October 5. The season premiere of Nikita scored what we believe is a series low 0.3 adults 18-49 rating, down 50% from a 0.6 for the last season premiere on September 23, 2011 and down 25% from a 0.4 for the season finale on May 18, 2012

Overnight broadcast primetime ratings for Friday, October 19, 2012:

Time  Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (Millions)
8:00 ABC Shark Tank 2.0/7 7.04
FOX Baseball Playoffs (8-10PM) - Live 1.7/6 6.36
CBS Hawaii Five-0 - R 0.8/3 5.94
NBC Grimm - R 0.6/2 2.62
CW America's Next Top Model 0.6/2 1.47
9:00 ABC Primetime: What Would You Do? 1.6/5 4.93
NBC Grimm 1.4/5 4.87
CBS CSI: NY 1.2/4 9.12
CW Nikita (Season Premiere) 0.3/1 0.95
10:00 ABC 20/20 1.4/5 5.42
CBS Blue Bloods 1.3/4 10.02
NBC Dateline 1.3/4 5.00

-

via press note:

In Nielsen's 56 metered markets, household results were: "The
> Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 2.5/6 with an encore telecast; CBS's
> "Late Show with David Letterman," 2.4/6; and ABC's combo of
> "Nightline," 3.1/7; and "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 1.5/4 with an encore.
>
> * In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, adult 18-49 results
> were: "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 0.8/4 with an encore; "Late
> Show," 0.5/3; "Nightline," 1.0/4; and "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 0.5/3 with
> an encore.
>
> * At 12:35 a.m., "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" (1.3/4 in
> metered-market households with an encore) tied CBS's first-run "Late
> Late Show with Craig Ferguson" (1.3/4). In the 25 markets with Local
> People Meters, "Late Night" (0.5/3 in 18-49 with an encore) topped
> "Late Late Show" (0.3/2).
>
> * At 1:35 a.m., "Last Call with Carson Daly" averaged a 0.9/3 in
> metered-market households with an encore and a 0.3/2 in adults 18-49
> in the 25 markets with local people meters.


Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2012 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.

Definitions:

Rating: Estimated percentage of the universe of TV households (or other specified group) tuned to a program in the average minute. Ratings are expressed as a percent.  More information on ratings is available here.

Share (of Audience): The percent of households (or persons) using television who are tuned to a specific program, station or network in a specific area at a specific time. (See also, Rating, which represents tuning or viewing as a percent of the entire population being measured.)

Fast Affiliate Ratings: These first national ratings, including demographics, are available at approximately 11 AM (ET) the day after telecast, and are released to subscribing customers daily. These data, from the National People Meter sample, are strictly time-period information, based on the normal broadcast network feed, and include all programming on the affiliated stations, sometimes including network programming, sometimes not. The figures may include stations that did not air the entire network feed, as well as local news breaks or cutaways for local coverage or other programming. Fast Affiliate ratings are not as useful for live programs and are likely to differ significantly from the final results, because the data reflect normal broadcast feed patterns. For example, with a World Series game, Fast Affiliate Ratings would include whatever aired from 8-11PM on affiliates in the Pacific Time Zone, following the live football game, but not game coverage that begins at 5PM PT. The same would be true of Presidential debates as well as live award shows and breaking news reports.

Time Shifted Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs. Live+Same Day (Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

For more information see Numbers 101 and Numbers 102.

 
  • Honey Badger

    corrected
    I predict Major League Baseball on Sunday Night on Fox which is the NLCS National League Championship Series (St. Louis Cardinals at San Francisco Giants) will really hurt the ratings for all the other shows airing on Sunday night.
    What is your opinion?

  • THE OLD MAN

    @ Justin 121

    THE OLD MAN is back after a good night’s rest after watching THE GOOD WIFE

    He is now wondering if 700 will be reached

    Stay tooned…

  • Tom

    @ Superpop What’s the point in citing some anonymous critics or EW as proof that Nikita is supposedly a good show? Critics are just viewers with access to a media outlet. Viewers can make up their own minds just by tuning in. The verdict on Nikita is obvious. It’s a 0.3 bomb that opened to less than a million viewers.

  • Honey Badger

    I predict ABC ratings will take a big hit Sunday night.
    Once Upon a Time will hit a low this year because of Sunday Night Football, Major League Baseball, etc. too bad because it is a very good show.
    Revenge will hit a low this year because of Sunday Night Football, Major League Baseball, etc.
    666 Park Avenue will hit a low because of Sunday Night Football, Major League Baseball, etc. and because it is a very bad show, I predict it will be cancelled or just burned off. Yes I am predicting that even though ABC has ordered two additional scripts for Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue. I don’t that they will ever produce the shows from these scripts.

    What is your opinion?

  • Honey Badger

    @ THE OLD MAN Thank You, I like THE GOOD WIFE too,but after last night I am done with “The Mentalist” and think CBS should cancel it. What is your opinion?

    THE OLD MAN
    Posted October 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    @ Justin 121

    THE OLD MAN is back after a good night’s rest after watching THE GOOD WIFE

    He is now wondering if 700 will be reached

    Stay tooned…

  • Dean

    The only show whose ratings I care about are The Mentalist. I hope it doesn’t go down. CBS could have had it behind POI instead of Vegas and got more ratings. It was doing just fine.

  • Dean

    is*
    Others I watch on the night are all doing well – Homeland, Walking Dead and Once Upon A Time.

  • Honey Badger

    Nikita may be a great show, but let’s face it “Hart Of Dixie” is the best show on CW. It just has a bad time slot going against the top rated show on television “The Voice” on NBC.
    If “Hart Of Dixie” was on NBC after in the time slot after “The Voice” on NBC, it would have a top 10 show rating.
    I am hoping for Syndication deal soon.

  • Honey Badger

    @ Alan How could they do that?

    Alan
    Posted October 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    The CW should bring back The Secret Circle ASAP

  • Mickey

    @Nick

    Not to quibble, but just because I’m a journalist and anal about facts, I came across the other two data points I had looked at for AI’s ratings last year, and one was 7.4 for the premiere, and the other was 6.1 for the finale. The thing is, the article says 6.1 is a series low, therefore it’s a mathematical impossibility that the average for last season was 5.34. Wherever you got that number from, it’s inaccurate, and I did in fact have my facts straight when I said AI was rating 6+.

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/05/american-idol-record-low-ratings-for-phillip-phillips-victory-.html

  • Honey Badger

    @ Arrow Ooops, you left off “Hart Of Dixie” is the best show on CW

    Arrow
    Posted October 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    CW 2013-2014

    Mondays:
    8/7c: Confession of a Back-up Dancer(N)
    9/8c: 9O21O(Final Season)

    Tuesdays:
    8/7c: Abbadon’s Journal(N)
    9/8c: Supernatural

    Wednesdays:
    8/7c: Arrow
    9/8c: Amazon(N)

    Thursdays:
    8/7c: The Vampire Diaries
    9/8c: Sleepy Hollow(N)

    Fridays:
    8/7c: Beauty and the Beast/CULT
    9/8c: Nikita(Final Season)

  • Mickey

    @Nick

    (Separating this so it doesn’t again get tossed in the spam folder for having more than one link in a post.)

    However, you will probably be right for this coming season. It could well fall into the 5s, because this article says it has fallen every year from a peak of 15.8 in 2007, except for 2010 when it went up a little. I hope it does, even more so now it is across from Supernatural.

    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/19/american-idol-premiere-ratings/

  • THE OLD MAN

    AI could very well fall into the 5′s as its dramatic fall off last year (40%)? Took most by surprise. Here’s hoping.

  • THE OLD MAN

    Nikita may be small po-tay-toes/po-tah-toes ratings wise, but a real beast comments wise

    Looks like 700 will be met

  • THE OLD MAN

    YAY! the 700 Clubs starts now!

  • Honey Badger

    Thank You Everyone!
    Over 700 posts on tvbythenumbers.com another record!
    Tops in last 2 years.

    It is fun to be involved with tvbythenumbers.com. It is a Fun site.
    With all the problems in the world today, it is fun to discuss non important issues like television shows.

  • Dean

    Can someone tell me if the final ratings for the friday shows come or not!

  • John A

    @THE OLD MAN you are making alot of the comments here yourself.

  • Mickey

    @Dean

    They come in later today, around 4 pm eastern time I think.

  • KS

    @Mickey

    I think you are wrong regarding American Idol. I never used to follow them carefully, but I believe there are few instances where, The Big Bang Theory has actually taken over American Idol and I don’t ever remember TBBT getting over a 6.0. I think, AI was below 6 quite a lot of times.

© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures