Univision and Telefutura Broadcast Networks Show Growth in November Sweeps
via press release:
UNIVISION AND TELEFUTURA BROADCAST NETWORKS SHOW GROWTH IN NOVEMBER SWEEPS
KMEX Univision 34 Los Angeles Ranks as No. 1 Most Watched Station in Primetime among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34, Regardless of Language
MIAMI – NOVEMBER 20, 2012 – The Univision Network announced today that it is set to finish the November 2012 sweep period with audience gains during broadcast primetime of +4% among Total Viewers 2+ and +1% among Adults 18-49 versus the November 2011 sweep, while ABC, CBS and FOX are down by double-digit margins across both demographic groups. Meanwhile, the company’s sister network, TeleFutura grew +58% among Total Viewers 2+ and +51% among Adults 18-49, outpacing all other broadcast networks in percentage growth.
Univision finished the November 2012 sweep period as the No. 1 network on Friday nights among Adults 18-34 during broadcast primetime for the fourth consecutive November sweep. In fact, Univision beat its closest competitor, ABC, on Friday nights by more than +25% with Adults 18-34.
With an average audience of 3.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.9 million Adults 18-49 and 909,000 Adults 18-34 in primetime, Univision has out-delivered ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX 69% of the time – or three out of five nights – among Adults 18-49 and 73% of the time – nearly three out of four nights – among Adults 18-34. For the 24th consecutive sweep, Univision has out-performed the CW among Adults 18-34, and for the 12th consecutive sweep among Adults 18-49, as well as on every single night thus far in the November 2012 sweep across both demographic groups.
ADDITIONAL UNIVISION NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS:
Univision’s primetime novelas “Por Ella, Soy Eva” (For Her, I’m Eva), “Amores Verdaderos” (True Love) and “Amor Bravio” (When The Heart Commands) delivered more Adult 18-49 and Adult 18-34 viewers than first-run airings of such English-language programs on broadcast television, including:
- ABC’s “666 Park Avenue,” “Don’t Trust the B in Apt 23,” “Happy Endings,” “Last Resort” and “Private Practice”
- CBS “Blue Bloods” and “CSI: NY”
- NBC’s “30 Rock,” “Guys with Kids” and “Up All Night”
- FOX’s “Ben and Kate,” “Fringe,” “Kitchen Nightmares” and “The Mob Doctor”
- CW’s “90210,” “America’s Next Top Model: College Edition,” “Arrow,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Emily Owens MD,” “Gossip Girl,” “Hart of Dixie,” “Nikita” and “Supernatural”
During the November 2012 sweep, Univision also provided audiences with blockbuster programming such as the “Sabado Gigante” 50th Anniversary Special, the finale of “Abismo de Pasion” (Abyss of Passion), the third season finale of “¡Mira Quién Baila!” (Look Who’s Dancing!) and the 13th Annual Latin GRAMMY® Awards. Additionally:
- “Sabado Gigante” showed growth versus the November 2011 sweep with Total Viewers 2+ (+12% to 2.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (+16% to 1.1 million).
- Univision’s primetime gossip entertainment program, “Sal y Pimienta” (Salt & Pepper) showed November-to-November audience growth among Adults 18-49 (+2% to 1.3 million) and Adults 18-34 (+5% to 591,000) .
- Univision’s evening newscast, “Noticiero Univision” (News Univision) attracted 2 million Total Viewers 2+ with strong year-over-year audience gains among the key Adult 18-49 (+7% to 979,000) and Adult 25-54 (+14% to 1 million) news viewers.
ADDITIONAL TELEFUTURA NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS:
TeleFutura is also set to finish the November 2012 sweep with strong audience growth over the November 2011 sweep during broadcast primetime across all key demographic groups, including Total Viewers 2+ (+58% to 764,000), Adults 18-49 (+51% to 422,000) and Adults 18-34 (+55% to 213,000).
During the November 2012 sweep, TeleFutura is pacing to rank as the No. 2 Spanish-language broadcast network, behind Univision, during Early Morning, Late Fringe and Weekend Day among Adults 18-34. In fact, TeleFutura delivered more Adult 18-49 viewers during Early Morning and Weekend Daytime versus Telemundo. Additionally:
- TeleFutura’s comedy “El Chavo” more than doubled the Monday to Friday 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. time period in the November 2012 sweep period (vs. November 2011) among all key demographics that included Total Viewers 2+ (+180% to 683,000), Adults 18-49 (+143% to 342,000) and Adults 18-34 (+86% to 173,000).
- TeleFutura’s weekday afternoon novela “Carita de Angel” (Face of an Angel) more than tripled the Monday to Friday 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. time period thus far in the November 2012 sweep period (vs. November 2011) among Total Viewers 2+ (+179% to 816,000), Adults 18-49 (+187% to 434,000) and Adults 18-34 (+151% to 226,000).
Source: The Nielsen Company, NPM November 2012 Sweep (10/25/2012-11/19/2012 vs. 10/27/2011-11/23/2011), 11/19/2012 based on Fast Affiliate Data. Broadcast Prime M-Sat 8p-11p, Su 7p-11p. TeleFutura based on 10/25/2012-11/18/2012 vs. 10/27/2011-11/23/2011 and non-prime dayparts through 11/11/2012, daypart definitions: Early Morning (M-F 6a-9a), Late Fringe (M-Su 11p-2a) and Weekend Day (7a-7p). Live+SD.
Local Market Highlights:
With two days remaining in the November 2012 sweep, KMEX Univision 34 in Los Angeles led all other stations in the country as the No. 1 most watched station in the country in primetime among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34, regardless of language.* Additionally:
- KMEX Univision 34 in Los Angeles also led all other stations in the country as the No. 1 most watched late local newscast among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Adults 25-54, regardless of language.*
With two days remaining in the November 2012 sweep period, Univision local stations were No. 1 in primetime in following markets:
- Among Total Viewers 2+ in Los Angeles and Miami.
- Among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Miami and Houston.
In Total Day (Monday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to 2 a.m.), Univision local stations were No. 1 among:
- Total Viewers 2+ in Miami.
- Among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Miami and Houston.
Univision local stations delivered the No. 1 6 p.m. (5 p.m. Central) Early Evening Local News, regardless of language, in the following markets:
- Among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento.
- Among Adults 25-54 in Los Angeles, Houston and San Francisco.
- Among Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento.
Additionally, Univision stations delivered the No. 1 Late Local News, regardless of language, in the following markets:
- Among Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas and Phoenix.
- Among Adults 25-54 in Los Angeles, Houston and Dallas.
- Among Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Sacramento.
Source: The Nielsen Company, NSI (10/25/12-11/19/12). Early Local News is defined as newscasts with Mon-Fri 6pm ET/PT start time; 5pm CT. Late Local News is defined as newscasts with Mon-Fri 10/11pm ET/PT start time; 9/10pm CT. Primetime is defined as ABC/CBS/NBC/IND/SLTV Mon-Sat 8P-11P/Sun 7P-11P ET/PT (Mon-Sat 7P-10P/Sun 6P-10P CT) and FOX/CW Mon-Sat 8P-10P/Sun 7P-10P ET/PT(Mon-Sat 7P-9P/Sun 6P-9P CT (includes regular newscasts only). Rankings based on average impressions. Live+SD.
*New York DMA ranking are excluded due to Hurricane Sandy.