'Saturday Night Live' With Martin Short and Paul McCartney Delivers Above Average Ratings

Categories: Broadcast TV,Late Night TV Ratings

Written By

December 16th, 2012

 

This week's episode of Saturday Night Live  hosted by Martin Short with musical guest Paul McCartney averaged a 2.8 rating with adults 18-49 in the 25 markets with local people meters, up 8%  from a 2.6 for last week's episode.

via press notes:

In Late-Night Metered-Market Household Averages for Saturday night:

Saturday Night Live," with host Martin Short and musical guest Paul McCartney (5.1/12 in metered-market households) dominated its time period. "SNL" scored the #1 rating of the night among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in metered-market households, topping all primetime telecasts on those networks.
>
> * In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, last night's > "> Saturday Night Live> "> averaged a 2.8 rating, 12 share in adults 18-49. "SNL" delivered the top rating of the night among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in the Local People Meters, out-rating all primetime programming on those networks.
>
> * In metered-market households, "Saturday Night Live" matched its highest rating since October 20 (with a telecast hosted by Bruno Mars). In the Local People Meters, "SNL" generated its highest 18-49 rating since November 3 (with an edition hosted by Louis C.K. with musical guest fun).
>
>
> Saturday Primetime Results:
>
> * At 8 p.m. ET, an encore telecast of > "> Chicago Fire> "> averaged a 0.4/1 in 18-49 and 2.3 million viewers overall.
>
> * At 9 p.m. ET, a second rebroadcast of > "> Chicago Fire> "> delivered a 0.5/2 in 18-49 and 2.8 million viewers overall. "Chicago Fire" delivered its biggest overall audience for an encore in this time period since October 20.
>
> * At 10 p.m. ET, another rebroadcast of > "> Chicago Fire> "> generated a 0.7/2 in 18-49 and 3.0 million viewers overall. The 10 p.m. "Chicago Fire" encore was up from the 8 p.m. rebroadcast by 75 percent in 18-49 rating, by 50 percent in adults 25-54 (to a 0.9 rating from a 0.7) and by 31 percent in total viewers.
>
>
> Friday Primetime Results:
>
> * From 8-9 p.m. ET, an encore telecast of > "> Michael Bublé: Home for the Holidays" averaged a 0.9/3 in adults 18-49 and 4.1 million viewers overall, and maintained 100 percent its 18-49 rating and overall audience from its first half-hour to its second.
>
> * From 9-10 p.m. ET, "Take It All" (1.1/3 in 18-49, 4.7 million viewers overall) ranked #2 in the time period among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in total viewers for the hour. Friday's "Take It All" grew from its first half-hour to it second by 20 percent in 18-49 rating (to a 1.2 from a 1.0) and 12 percent in total viewers (5.0 million vs. 4.5 million) and built on its lead-in by 22 percent in 18-49 and 16 percent in total viewers.
>
> * At 10 p.m. ET, "Dateline NBC" (2.0/6 in 18-49, 6.8 million viewers overall) led the time period in adults 18-49, adults 25-54, total viewers and all other key categories among ABC, CBS and NBC and earned the #1 rating of the night in 18-49 and 25-54. "Dateline NBC" reported its highest Friday 18-49 rating and total-viewer results since September 23, 2011.

 

 
  • Ricky

    And so SNL endeth the year 2012 with their best show…good for them! You know you’re watching a great show when Weekend Update is actually one of the weaker bits, because usually that’s the one that prevents a show from devolving into complete and utter pig slop. (Or, in some cases – like Christina Applegate’s show – tried its best to prevent the devolution into pig slop, but still failed to do so.)

    Best bits: the royal *ahem* (I woke up my whole house with my laughter at that one), having Kanye hold the Dulcolax during the Tony Bennett sketch, and of course the finale with Sir Paul and the children’s choir. Just beautiful.

    The good news is, Jen Lawrence is the next host – wahoo! :mrgreen: The bad news is we have to wait a whole month to see it. :cry:

  • Meg

    And yes……..Samuel Jackson and his trash had to be present.
    I am so sick of the dumbing African American named Samuel Jackson and think
    MOST all of Americans have had enough of him and his mouth.
    Go away….What’s Up With That is one of the best parts of the show
    and I KNEW when you were included you’d FIND SOME WAY to trash it with
    your utterly foul and racist mouth. GO AWAY

  • 21century

    What a shame you felt the need to be racist meg. Samuel jackson is one of the finest actors of our generation. Please go back to 1950 where you belong.

  • Elizabeth

    Just loved the opening tribute and Martin Short. I think he’s just the best, so sweet and sincere. A+ on this episode.

  • Rebecca

    I love Martin Short and Paul McCartney…just saw most of the show on hulu. They don’t always include every segment, and the monologue is missing so I’ll have to look for it. Didn’t see anything with Kanye or Tony Bennett either so I’ll look for those clips. This was maybe one time I enjoyed the “What Up With That” segment…I normally don’t like it. Found it funny this time, or else Martin Short’s “Royal Ahem” bit still had me in a good mood, lol. That was hilarious. And I love the girl who does the “girl you get sucked into talking to at a party” character (or however Seth phrases it)…she’s awesome.

  • Gary Middleton

    Nothing apart from Martin Short’s opening really nailed it for me. They’ve done about 7 or 8 better episodes this season. But I’m sure it isn’t easy when current events suddenly become off limits for comedy.

  • Justin

    @Gary

    I totally agree with you. However I will say this season has been the best season of SNL in awhile.

  • ILoveSitcoms

    What a big deal over a few words! They did a parody play earlier about Charlie Brown where the characters swore repeatedly under beeps in a far more vulgar way. And like anyone didn’t know what was said. The only thing offensive about Jackson’s swearing was that it was stilted and unfunny.

    I thought the show was fairly mediocre. Even Paul McCartney’s performance was considerably weaker than his most recent appearance. Martin Short is best when he’s performing with an edge, I thought he played it safe for the most part sticking to silly performances.

  • Gary Middleton

    Definitely, Justin. Those first couple of months were unsustainably hot. Like those early Carvey-Hartman-Lovitz years.

  • SJ

    I don’t see the appeal of McCartney, and they always let him sing three songs. Ugh!

    SNL has been mediocre this year, with Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong the only reasons to tune in. The only good episode was the Christina Applegate outing.

  • Rebecca

    Well, I like Paul but I think his voice is kind of shot now – maybe shouldn’t perform live any more. I like to remember his Beatles and Wings days more. I was glad to see him on SNL though – I didn’t see the 12-12-12 concert so I didn’t see him play with Nirvana before (but I know he and Dave Grohl have been doing stuff the past couple years together….I like it when Dave does the Beatles stuff. He has the early-70s McCartney look, lol).

  • Dafla bear

    Martin Short was terrific.
    He brings an energy and wit few can match.
    Alec Baldwin is a complete jerk, but he is funny. His Tony Bennett was over the top spot on.
    Great show!

  • CenterGravity

    This episode was pretty darn good, Touching tribute at the start.

  • Ralph Hahn

    Lorne must have lost a bet with Martin Short because I fail to see the reason for this 80s SNL cast member to be back as a host. IT’s not like his career is still going. McCartney…what else can you say about the world’s mosr famous musician? “My Valentine” always blows me away. Same two songs he did on last week’s benefit concert for Hurricane Sandy. It was nice to see the young carolers sing “Silent Night.” However, the last line of the 2nd verse is “Christ the savior is born.” The chorus repeated the last line to the first verse “Sleep in heavenly peace.” But, maybe that needed to be the end of the set because of the carnage which had taken place the day before. Good idea to fade to black for a few seconds after “Silent Night” before the kids did the show’s opening line.

© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures