via press release:
BET IS STILL THE #1 CABLE NETWORK AMONG AFRICAN AMERICANS
In 2012, BET Dominated Primetime For More Days Of The Week Compared To All Other Cable Networks
CENTRIC Posted Its Best Year Among Adults 35+, And Is A Top 20 Cable Growth Network Among Blacks
BET’s Digital Footprint Continues to Soar in 2012 With Social TV
BET is 8th Most Social TV Network In All Of Broadcast And Cable For 2012
NEW YORK, NY – December 21, 2012—BET finished 2012 dominating primetime, remaining a leader among all other cable channels targeting the African American audience. According to the Nielsen Company, BET owned primetime among the black audience, ranking #1 for more nights of the week compared to any other cable network (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday). BET is ad-supported cable’s #1 network in primetime among black households & Black Adults 18-49 for 10 consecutive years, and among black viewers for 7 consecutive years. Overall, BET is still a top 20 ad-supported cable network among adults 18-49 for the 4th consecutive year. And, for 13 years straight BET has been a top 20 ad-supported cable network among adults 18-34. CENTRIC also performed well in 2012, posting its best year ever among Adults 35+. On the digital side, BET’s social footprint grew by 41% in 2012 and the network also launched two new apps – the BET AWARDS app and HIP HOP AWARDS app.
BET Original Programming Highlights:
·franchise is still the #1 original series in BET history, with season 5 taking the #1 sitcom spot on ad-supported cable this year among BET’s target demographic, adults 18-49. season 5 and LET’S STAY TOGETHER season 2 are also cable’s top 2 sitcoms on ad-supported cable this year among all black viewers, respectively.
· The fifth season of SUNDAY BEST posted the series’ best performance in BET history and is the #1 music competition series this year on ad-supported cable among all viewers.
· New BET series KEYSHIA & DANIEL: FAMILY FIRST is ad-supported cable’s #1 weeknight reality series among all black viewers, and is the #1 4Q12 Tuesday new original series on cable among all viewers.
· APOLLO LIVE is currently the #1 Thursday original series in 2012 on ad-supported cable among all black viewers.
BET Music Programming & Specials Highlights:
· All of cable’s top 5 award shows among all black viewers are BET Tentpoles #1 BET AWARDS ’12, #2 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS ’12, #3 HIP HOP AWARDS ’12, #4 BET HONORS ‘12, & #5 BLACK GIRLS ROCK! ’12.
· The BET AWARDS remains as the #1 program in cable TV history among African Americans, and it is BET's #1 telecast every year. It has also been the #1 awards show on television among black viewers, blacks 18-34 and blacks 18-49 for 8 consecutive years.
· The HIP HOP AWARDS ’12 is still television’s (Broadcast & Cable) #1 hip hop themed telecast for the 7th consecutive year.
· CELEBRATION OF GOSPEL ’12 ranks as cable’s #1 gospel/religious telecast on television for 12 years straight.
· BET’s flagship music series, 106 & PARK has been the #1 music variety show on television for more than 4 years among total viewers and the show continues to be the cable time-slot winner among black adults 18-49.
BET Digital Highlights:
· BET’s digital footprint currently numbers over 95 million users, with double digit increases in the past 6 months.
· Monthly unique visitors to BET.com have increased 44% in 2012.*
· 2012 saw record breaking day of show traffic for both the 2012 BET Awards and the 2012 Hip Hop Awards.
· In 2012, BET’s social footprint grew by 41% and now numbers over 30 million.
· The BET AWARDS was the 4th most buzzed about event of 2012**
· According to Trendrr, 106 & PARK is the 11th most social show on television.
· BET successfully launched a redesigned mobile site and immediately saw double digit increases in user engagement.
· The BET AWARDS app had more than 400,000 downloads in its first 2.5 weeks after launch.
· In 2012, BET launched two new apps – the BET AWARDS app and HIP HOP AWARDS app—and the BET AWARDS app was featured by both Google and Apple4.5 out of 5 stars on both storefronts by users.
· According to Trendrr, BET is #8 of all Broadcast Networks & Cable TV Networks in terms of Most Social for 2012 and BET is #4 out of all Cable TV Networks in 2012.
CENTRIC posted its highest total day performance ever among adults over 35, women over 35 and women over 35. The network is posting its best ever primetime performance among adults 25-54 and has been posting key gains with this demo for more than 2 years, as well as year-to-year late night gains among adult women age 25-54 for more than 2 years. Competitively, CENTRIC ranks among cable’s top 20 late night growth networks this year among black women 25-54 (#20).
CENTRIC Programming Highlights:
· CENTRIC’s APOLLO LIVE Saturday premiere average is posting double-digit gains versus CENTRIC’s CY12 Saturday 8pm-9pm time-slot average (+33%).
*All web measurements are based on Omniture.
**Source: Blue Fin Labs
About BET Networks
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 98 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks - BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Home Entertainment, a collection of BET-branded offerings for the home environment including DVDs and video-on-demand; BET Event Productions, a full-scale event management and production company with festivals and live events spanning the globe; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
# # #