'

TV Ratings Wednesday: 'American Idol' Hits a Low But Still Wins Night, 'Modern Family', 'Survivor' & 'CSI' Up, 'Arrow' Falls

Categories: '

Written By

February 21st, 2013

Scoreboard FOX CBS ABC UNI NBC CW
Adults 18-49: rating/Share 4.1/11 2.5/7 2.1/6 1.6/5 1.5/4 0.9/3
Adults 18-34: Rating/Share 3.2/10 1.5/5 1.5/5 1.4/5 1.2/4 0.8/2
Total Viewers (million) 14.239 10.242 6.813 3.912 5.079 2.670

 

FOX was the number one network in adults 18-49 and with total viewers.

On FOX, American Idol scored a 4.1 down from 5 percent from last week's 4.3 adults 18-49 rating. This is the series' lowest adults 18-49 rating for a Wednesday since at least July 10, 2002. Your predictions were accurate.

On CBS, Survivor: Caramoan: Fans vs Favorites earned a 2.5 up 4 percent from a 2.4 adults 18-49 for last week’s premiere. Criminal Minds tied its series low with a 2.7 adults 18-49 rating down 4 percent from a 2.8 for  its last original on  February 6.CSI garnered a 2.3, up 21 percent from last week's series low 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, The Middle earned a 2.2 up 16 percent from last week's season low 1.9 among adults 18-49.  The Neighbors scored a 1.9, up 12 percent from last week’s 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Modern Family garnered a 3.9, up 3 percent from last week’s 3.8 adults 18-49 rating. Suburgatory notched a 2.0, down 5 percent from last week’s 2.1 adults 18-49 rating. A special 202/20: Mad About Oscar earned a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating, down 28 percent from Nashville’s 1.8 in the time period last week.

On NBC, Whitney tied its series low with a 1.1 down 8 percent from last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating. Guys With Kids garnered a 1.1 up 10 percent from last week's series low 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Law & Order SVU notched a 1.7 adults 18-49 rating up 13 percent from last week's 1.5. Chicago Fire earned a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week.

On the CW, Arrow garnered a 0.9, down 18 percent from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating. Supernatural earned a 0.9 down 10 percent from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating.

Late-night results are below the primetime data.

Overnight ratings for Wednesday, February 20, 2013:

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (millions)
8:00 FOX American Idol (8-10PM) 4.1/11 14.24
CBS Survivor 2.5/7 9.45
ABC The Middle 2.2/7 8.17
NBC Whitney 1.1/3 3.26
CW Arrow 0.9/3 3.12
8:30 ABC The Neighbors 1.9/5 6.29
NBC Guys With Kids 1.1/3 2.96
9:00 ABC Modern Family 3.9/10 10.57
CBS Criminal Minds 2.7/8 10.74
NBC Law & Order; SVU 1.7/4 5.71
CW Supernatural 0.9/3 2.22
9:30 ABC Suburgatory 2.0/5 5.89
10:00 CBS CSI 2.3/7 10.54
NBC Chicago Fire 1.9/5 6.42
ABC 20/20: Mad About Oscar 1.3/4 4.98

-

via press note:

In Nielsen's 56 metered markets, household results were: "The
> Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 2.7/7; CBS's "Late Show with David
> Letterman," 2.6/7; and ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 2.1/6.
>
> * In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, adult 18-49
> Wednesday results were: "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 0.8/4; "Late
> Show," 0.7/4; and "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 0.8/4.
>
> * From 12:35-1:05 a.m. ET Wednesday night, ABC's "Nightline"
> averaged a 1.3/4 in metered-market households and a 0.5/3 in 18-49 in
> the Local People Meters.
>
> * From 12:35-1:35 a.m. ET, "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" (1.3/5
> in metered-market households) tied CBS's "Late Late Show with Craig
> Ferguson" (1.3/4). In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, "Late
> Night" (0.4/3 in 18-49) tied "Late Late Show" (0.4/3).
>
> * At 1:35 a.m., "Last Call with Carson Daly" averaged a 0.8/4 in
> metered-market households and a 0.3/3 in adults 18-49 in the 25
> markets with local people meters.
NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.
Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2013 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

You can see TV ratings from other recent Overnight ratings reports here.

Definitions: Fast Affiliate Ratings: These first national ratings, including demographics, are available at approximately 11 AM (ET) the day after telecast, and are released to subscribing customers daily. These data, from the National People Meter sample, are strictly time-period information, based on the normal broadcast network feed, and include all programming on the affiliated stations, sometimes including network programming, sometimes not. The figures may include stations that did not air the entire network feed, as well as local news breaks or cutaways for local coverage or other programming. Fast Affiliate ratings are not as useful for live programs and are likely to differ significantly from the final results, because the data reflect normal broadcast feed patterns. For example, with a World Series game, Fast Affiliate Ratings would include whatever aired from 8-11PM on affiliates in the Pacific Time Zone, following the live football game, but not game coverage that begins at 5PM PT. The same would be true of Presidential debates as well as live award shows and breaking news reports.

Rating: Estimated percentage of the universe of TV households (or other specified group) tuned to a program in the average minute. Ratings are expressed as a percent.

Share (of Audience): The percent of households (or persons) using television who are tuned to a specific program, station or network in a specific area at a specific time. (See also, Rating, which represents tuning or viewing as a percent of the entire population being measured.)

Time Shifted Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs. Live+Same Day (Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

For more information see Numbers 101.

 
  • JJF

    Suburgatory might be doing worse than The Neighbors if given enough time. I think the steam is just gone from it.

  • doe

    Hoping The Middle gets adjusted down.

  • Ben

    I think that The Neighbours is more likely to be renewed than Suburgatory at this point… Or maybe they both get 13 episodes.

  • Ramona

    @Tessa

    Because the show always has stretches of non-mytharc MOTW episodes. Cas isn’t in those episodes (nor is Crowley or Kevin, etc) because he’s not one of the two main characters.

    And again, his ~comebacks don’t do anything for the ratings so not sure why you use that to signify his importance

    @Dóchas

    No, only the extreme ones who mention him in every single article online and think the writers are actually going to turn Dean gay for him

  • Maya

    @Tessa plz go and eat your couch once and for all, because it was already schedule Castiel return on ep, 17, so no big surprise there. Stop with the Sam blaiming plz it was obvious this week ratings because it was a filler episode and many fans don’t like those.

    @Donna T hahahahahahahahahahahahaha I my thoughts exactly.

    @Forg Completly agree with you.

  • Maya

    @Tessa plz go and eat your couch once and for all, because it was already schedule Castiel return on ep, 17, so no big surprise there. Stop with the Sam blaiming plz it was obvious this week ratings because it was a filler episode and many fans don’t like those.

    @Donna T hahahahahahahahahahahahaha my thoughts exactly.

    @Forg Completly agree with you.

  • KT

    @PurpleDrazi I totally agree. I used to look forward to CM more than any other show, and now it’s been bumped into the middle of the pack of shows I look forward to each week.

    @MichaelChickless No, I’m not, but I’ve contemplated getting into it, as I’ve heard it’s one of the best new shows out there right now. I feel like I already watch too much TV, so I’m hesitant to get into yet ANOTHER show. lol

  • Ricky K

    Sorry Doe, MIDDLE was adjusted up!

  • Dóchas

    @Ramona, good to know. I don’t do slash or wish for slash in any way for Sam/Dean or Cas. I like my bromances strictly that. Bro’s.

  • Sergio

    Arrow started late and finished late in the east cost. around 7 minutes.. I hope there is adjustment..

  • Richard Steven Hack

    Tessa: “My guess is the producers have Thea there to appeal to the younger demographic”

    You could be right, I didn’t think of that because of the show’s focus on her relationship with Oliver. Although Katie Cassidy is 26 and Willa Holland 21, so I don’t see the five years age difference being that great. I don’t even remember how old the character is supposed to be. I assume she’s supposed to be a “teenager” although we never see her in school.

    I do think producers do stuff like that – trying to “micromanage” the audience perception which is probably based on “test screenings” and other pseudo-psychology crap. It never works out. People said Anna Torv tested bad due to “micro-expressions” – and Fringe still ran five seasons. None of that stuff matters compared to an intelligent premise, decent acting, good writing and directing.

  • SueP

    @Ralph

    “My big, fat problem with S8: WRITTING. Very disappointing..inconsistent as hell”

    And don’t forget predictable, contrived and unnecessarily melodramatic. This is a horror.sci-fi show right? :)

  • tia

    Supernatural fell this week because of 1 thing and 1 thing only. Dean fans were p.o’d that he didn’t get to do the trials. That once again Dean doesn’t get an arc this is his and his only. You can call it a protest against the writing that the writers fail to give Dean anything but a “support” role to Sam, Cas, Benny and every other Tom, d and Harry. My opinion of course but all week Dean fans did nothing but complain. Me included.

  • Richard Steven Hack

    samurai99: “In a world where the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones exist, ‘fantasy storyline’ is no excuse for bad ratings.”

    That’s not entirely true. First, those shows are on cable; Arrow is on broadcast. VERY few genre shows do well on broadcast networks which are overwhelmed by cop, legal, medical and reality shows and comedies. The CW is one of the few networks to have a significant number of genre shows at all.

    Second, while I agree that simply BEING a genre show is no excuse not to be excellent, sadly very few shows ARE in any genre.

    Arrow is doing very well for the network it’s on. It’s not Emmy material and perhaps not even all that compelling compared to, say, Lost, but it’s better by far than the POS called Revolution.

  • Richard Steven Hack

    John A: “they dont have Tantrums like Revenge fans do.”

    Another cheap shot at Revenge and Revenge fans…

    Max doesn’t have “tantrums”? Did you SEE Monday’s post? Get serious… Trolls come on here and people get irritated and suddenly they’re having “tantrums”?

    Pathetic.

  • Geordiegirl1967

    @tia
    “Supernatural fell this week because of 1 thing and 1 thing only. Dean fans were p.o’d that he didn’t get to do the trials. That once again Dean doesn’t get an arc this is his and his only. You can call it a protest against the writing that the writers fail to give Dean anything but a “support” role to Sam, Cas, Benny and every other Tom, d and Harry. My opinion of course but all week Dean fans did nothing but complain. Me included.”

    This is all very interesting except for one teeny, tiny, hardly worth mentioning fact. The ratings did NOT go down from last weeks ep to start of this. Last week got 2.41m and 1.0. First half hour this week (ie those who tuned in for the start of the ep) almost the same audience at 2.36m and the same demo of 1.0. So I’m afraid the much vaunted, ‘widely’ (by a small number of vocal extreme Dean fans on the internet) predicted mass exodus of Dean fans simply did not happen.

  • rob60990

    Ricky, those better be right!

  • Tessa

    @tia

    Watch out, people will accuse you of being delusional if you say that. Apparently ratings have nothing to do with people getting pissed off with the show’s main storyline and stopping to watch live.

  • cros

    Deathstroke is the one who brings ratings to Arrow lol.

    Now I hope they know.

  • Tessa

    Oops, looks like I was late with my warning to tia. Geordiegirl1967 was already watching this board like a hawk waiting to swoop down on anyone who even implied the awesome Sam storyline was anything but awesome.

© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures