'

TV Ratings Friday: 'Undercover Boss' Returns Down,'CSI:NY' Finale Flat, 'Nikita' Dips, 'Last Man Standing' & 'Malibu Country' Down

Categories: '

Written By

February 23rd, 2013

ABC CBS NBC FOX CW
Adults 18-49: Rating/Share 1.5/5 1.4/4 1.3/4 0.9/3 0.3/1
Total Viewers (million) 5.920 9.258 5.647 2.805 0.949


ABC was number one in adults 18-49 while CBS was on top with total viewers.

On ABC, Last Man Standing earned a 1.3 down 7 percent from last week’s 1.4.  Malibu Country scored a 1.1 down 8 percent from last week’s 1.2 adults 18-49 rating. Shark Tank garnered a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week. 20/20 notched a 1.4 down 7 percent from last week's 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, Undercover Boss returned to a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating down 21 percent from a 1.9 for its most recent original episode on February 1 but more than doubling The Job’s performance in the timeslot last week. The season (and perhaps series) finale of CSI:NY earned a 1.2 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week’s performance. Your predictions were too optimistic.  Blue Bloods garnered 1.4 among adults 18-49, matching last week’s performance.

On FOX, Kitchen Nightmares earned a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating even with last week.Touch 0.7 adults 18-49 ratin, flat with last week.

On NBC a two hour Dateline garnered a 1.4 up 8 percent from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Rock Center scored a 1.0 down 9 percent from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, Nikita earned a 0.3 adults 18-49 rating down 40 percent from a 0.5 for its most recent original episode on February 8.

Overnight broadcast primetime ratings for Friday, February 22, 2013

Time  Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (Millions)
8:00 CBS Undercover Boss 1.5/5 7.33
NBC Dateline (8-10PM) 1.4/4 6.22
ABC Last Man Standing 1.3/4 6.01
FOX Kitchen Nightmares 1.1/4 3.10
CW Nikita 0.3/1 1.26
8:30 ABC Malibu Country (8:31PM-9) 1.1/3 5.05
9:00 ABC Shark Tank 1.8/6 6.44
CBS CSI: NY - Season Finale 1.2/4 9.39
FOX Touch 0.7/2 2.51
CW Cult - R 0.2/1 0.64
10:00 CBS Blue Bloods 1.4/4 11.06
ABC 20/20 1.4/4 5.79
NBC Rock Center 1.0/3 4.50

-

via press note:

In Late-Night Metered Markets Friday night:

In Nielsen's 56 metered markets, household results were: "The
> Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 2.9/7; CBS's "Late Show with David
> Letterman," 2.5/6; and ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 2.2/5.
>
> * In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, adult 18-49
> Wednesday results were: "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," 0.7/3; "Late
> Show," 0.6/3; and "Jimmy Kimmel Live," 0.8/4.
>
> * From 12:35-1:05 a.m. ET Wednesday night, ABC's "Nightline"
> averaged a 1.5/4 in metered-market households and a 0.5/3 in 18-49 in
> the Local People Meters.
>
> * From 12:35-1:35 a.m. ET, "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" (1.8/6
> in metered-market households) beat CBS's "Late Late Show with Craig
> Ferguson" (1.2/4). In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, "Late
> Night" (0.6/4 in 18-49) topped "Late Late Show" (0.4/2).
>
> * At 1:35 a.m., "Last Call with Carson Daly" averaged a 1.0/4 in
> metered-market households and a 0.3/2 in adults 18-49 in the 25
> markets with local people meters.

Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2013 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.

Definitions:

Rating: Estimated percentage of the universe of TV households (or other specified group) tuned to a program in the average minute. Ratings are expressed as a percent.  More information on ratings is available here.

Share (of Audience): The percent of households (or persons) using television who are tuned to a specific program, station or network in a specific area at a specific time. (See also, Rating, which represents tuning or viewing as a percent of the entire population being measured.)

Fast Affiliate Ratings: These first national ratings, including demographics, are available at approximately 11 AM (ET) the day after telecast, and are released to subscribing customers daily. These data, from the National People Meter sample, are strictly time-period information, based on the normal broadcast network feed, and include all programming on the affiliated stations, sometimes including network programming, sometimes not. The figures may include stations that did not air the entire network feed, as well as local news breaks or cutaways for local coverage or other programming. Fast Affiliate ratings are not as useful for live programs and are likely to differ significantly from the final results, because the data reflect normal broadcast feed patterns. For example, with a World Series game, Fast Affiliate Ratings would include whatever aired from 8-11PM on affiliates in the Pacific Time Zone, following the live football game, but not game coverage that begins at 5PM PT. The same would be true of Presidential debates as well as live award shows and breaking news reports.

Time Shifted Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs. Live+Same Day (Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

For more information see Numbers 101 and Numbers 102.

 
  • John A

    Just thinking been a while since Bondoel has been here no sign of him at Berman site either.

  • gary m

    How long will Time Warner and CBS pour $ into the CW money pit? Close it up, put Vampire Diaries and Arrow on CBS schedule, trash the rest.

  • rob60990

    “poor Rob has harped about Cougar Town for 4 years. They will have to sedate him when TBS renews it in a couple of weeks.”

    Did I EVER say it was in danger of being cancelled? I expect TBS to renew it since it’s doing the same as the other comedies have done. I don’t think you guys know why I have trashed Cougar Town for so long. It has to do with The Middle. ;)

  • alvar

    CBS could consider moving Blue Bloods to 9pm. It always beats CSI: NY in total viewers and usually matches it in the demo – it could potentially do better at 9pm.

  • Andrew

    @John: What is wrong with men like you acting so holier then thou and above it all seriously grow up already and give me a break. There is nothing special about people like you just because you dont care what someone says but I give you this scenario if someone in real life mocked you or what you had to say to your face you wouldnt take kindly to it and online its just as stupid immature and childish in that regard. So please kindly save your holier then thou im above this type of behavior comment because your own response here proved you are NOT above it otherwise you would not have wrote a comment where you said and I quote : How do you guys cope in real life with real problems? I think we can call people like you hypocrites and just leave it at that.

  • Andrew

    @John A I can guess what the A stands for but thanks for proving exactly my point about people like yourself making an intentional baiting comment like the one you just made then walk away laugh about it then come back and continue to add to the fire you created intentionally .

    Predictable troll is predictable.

  • Serial Rocker

    @rob60990

    “Ok I’ll admit I was wrong here, however I have had Nikita fans call me names and that was even before I said anything bad about it. One time I stated I don’t think the CW would renew it and got attacked.”

    Fair enough then. I won’t even try and pretend that Nikita doesn’t have its fair share of rabid fanboys. Pretty much every show I love has a section of the fanbase that seems to need to go that one step too far and be rude and insulting for the sake of it, making the rest of us look bad (or insane…). I don’t find it hard to believe that you’ve had Nikita fans having a go at you.

    Truth be told, Rob, when it comes to ratings and related discussion I tend to agree with 99% of what you say. The only problem I have ever had with you is when you gloat about a show you don’t like getting a bad rating, with the added “LOL”s and smilies. That I find unnecessary and to be honest beneath you because you’re clearly neither a child nor an idiot. Seems a shame to bring yourself down to that level because otherwise you make a lot of sense.

    And regarding the page layout problems, I’m getting that too. The “You Also Might Like” images are all over the place.

  • Dave S.

    I am not worried about Nikita renewal. I am sure it is going to get a season 4. It makes business sense. I don’t watch the show personally but it would make sense for the CW to get it into syndication.

  • TerryJacksonNYC

    @Xerophytes

    We had a long talk about this last week. I don’t think the people at Fox are upset that there was no final “full season” for Fringe. If there had been a full season, WB would have demanded Fox pick up more of the tab and I think the Fox folks have been done with losses and write-offs, at least as they pertain to Fringe.

    One more thing. Ratings are dropping everywhere. There is no reason to believe that Fringe’s ratings would have stayed at or near 1.0 were new episodes airing this month.

  • Bizarro

    @Brandy
    Sorry you are wrong, B&TB, CD, or Cult has to be renewed. The CW would look pretty pathetic if only one new show out of five got renewed. The CW will renew at least three more shows. As of right now, Nikita and Hart are a lock in for renewal and one of the new shows B&TB or CD. The CW will have to have more factors thrown in for these shows like international pickup, DVR and streaming ratings, iTunes/Amazon sales, social factor, and cost of production.

  • thesnowleopard

    @Emma
    Nikita already hit 0.2 last fall, while in the 9pm slot. So, a new low would be for it to get a 0.1.

    @getmilk
    What makes you think a 90210 renewal would be about the ratings? It’s doubtful that’s why they renewed Gossip Girl, whose ratings were just as lousy compared to the rest of the network. The general theory was that the studio and network wanted the Netflix and other such revenues from GG because older shows tend to bring in more revenue in that deal, including when new episodes are produced.

    We don’t have those numbers, but if they paid out the way the execs wanted for GG, a shortened final season, probably on Fridays, for 90210 could be worth their while. A full season seems very unlikely, and anything beyond season six (due to cast contracts running out) impossible, but I think a shortened final season would really depend on how the syndication numbers crunch for them. It is perhaps a weaker motivation than what kept the network from dumping Nikita outright last fall, but it is still one that could offset bad ratings in any renewal decision.

  • Andrew

    kbmv
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

    @John A

    Totally agree. People get furious about their shows ratings. It’s best that they stay inside the house as much as possible because they will get hurt(emotionally).

    Oh gee what a surprise another arrogant sociopath who acts like they are above it all yet just like John then automatically posts a comment that CONTRADICTS themselves in that regard.

    Totally agree. People get furious about their shows ratings. It’s best that they stay inside the house as much as possible because they will get hurt(emotionally).

    Unless this load of hypocritical juvenile bs is considered being respectful and MATURE. Uh huh if people believe that ive got land to sell them .

  • Joie

    Goodbye, CSI: NY. Thanks for an amazing nine years.

  • Andrew

    @Dan Just to clarify Arrow has already been officially renewed.

  • TerryJacksonNYC

    If people honestly “get furious” about their favorite shows’ ratings, they have no business being here. Or on any forum. Getting “furious” about facts isn’t conducive to actual discussion.

  • Andrew

    @Terry: So you think its funny or right when someone is bullied ONLINE and you are also ANOTHER one of those telling people to GO AWAY if they cant HANDLE it ( your mentality not mine).

    Seriously grow up already decent parents raise decent human beings not sociopaths who get their highs from being rude and hateful towards people ONLINE. Its bad enough in real life yet people like you condone it then try to put into some form of intellectual justification. Shame shame shame thats about it.

    There is also a difference between talking about a show you like or dislike constructively instead of insulting the poster.

    But many of you cant seem to wrap your brains around that logical common sense FACT sadly.

  • Serial Rocker

    Regarding Fringe, as big of a fan of the show as I was, I tend to think that a full season set in “Observer Future” would likely have seen a serious ratings decline, as TerryJacksonNYC suggested. The writers seemed to be stretching the plot out too much with the thirteen episodes they had. Of course, had they been promised a full season they may well have tried a different storyline altogether. We’ll probably never know.

    As for 90210, this is purely my assumption but I’ve always believed that Gossip Girl was granted a final season in spite of mediocre ratings because the show had seen some serious international success in its glory days and as such deserved a shortened run to allow it to finish properly, similar to the Fringe situation. 90210 doesn’t have that same level of popularity or international awareness as far as I can see, not to mention its ratings being even worse than GG. I just can’t see that The CW will feel like 90210 deserves the same treatment.

  • Chris

    I really don’t get how/why everyone here hates Nikita so much! It’s my favorite show on tv right now and being an action-lover myself it would have been difficult for me not to watch it! I don’t get the way CW thinks. Why have they not changed the day? Friday is killing the ratings show! I am not saying that changing the day will magically make the ratings go up but why not at least try it? They changed the hour and that led to a minor increase. Why not change the day as well? Especially if they are to renew it!

  • Serial Rocker

    @Andrew

    I think you might have misread what Terry was saying. Pretty certain he wasn’t meaning what you thought he meant.

  • Nick

    @Dan

    I never said The Neighbors will be cancelled. In fact, I said it was entirely possible that The Neighbors could be renewed & moved to Fridays. If you want to be specific, here are my renewal chances for the ABC comedies-

    Modern Family: Certain Renewal (100%)
    The Middle: Certain Renewal (99.99999%)
    Suburgatory: Certain Renewal (93%)
    Last Man Standing: Likely Renewal (62%)
    The Neighbors: On the Bubble (53%)
    Malibu Country: Likely Cancellation (33%)

    @Bizzaro

    The CW would look pretty pathetic if only one new show out of five got renewed.

    You mean, like last year when they renewed 1 new show (Hart of Dixie) and cancelled 3 others (H8R, The Secret Circle, Ringer)?

© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures