Click this link for the latest CBS renewal / cancellation information:
- CBS Renew/Cancel Wrap: 'Vegas,' 'Rules Of Engagement,' 'CSI:NY,' 'Golden Boy' Canceled; 'Criminal Minds' Renewed
Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts the network's decision on renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows by the end of the 2012-13 season in May, 2013. (includes results from December 31, 2012- February 24, 2013):
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|: Los Angeles||1.03|
With the premiere tonight of CBS' freshman drama , it seems well timed to take a closer look at the hopeful comments in the vein of "If fails, X will be saved".
Let's review the CBS drama situation, again, for the 473rd time.
- CBS has premiered three new dramas each of the last seven Fall's.
- Assuming CBS keeps the same number of drama hours next Fall, they'll need to cancel three of their Spring dramas to make room (ignore the already dead , it is irrelevant). Currently, I am predicting those three canceled shows will be (certainly), :NY (likely), and one of The , The or .
- You think CBS will expand their sitcom time by an hour? Cancel another Spring drama.
- You think CBS might air at 8pm Friday next Fall? Cancel another Spring drama.
- You think CBS will time share their dramas in partial seasons? Increase their drama time on Sunday-Friday? Or air new dramas on Saturday? Check your medication.
Better to Follow The Bear, Than Be Chased By Him. This season you can follow the on Twitter via @TheCancelBear. The Cancellation Bear will retweet all the Renew/Cancel Index post titles and links as well as engage in a little more back and forth banter than we do on our standard @TVbytheNumbers Twitter feed.
*shows no longer on the air have their Renew/Cancel Index "frozen" at the point they left the schedule.
** The Renew/Cancel Index does not attempt to predict shows ending because the cast or production company chooses to end them. These shows have the ratings for renewal, but rumored cast/production company moves may end the shows.
From now through the end of the broadcast season in May, the Renew/Cancel Index values will only be calculated using new episodes airing during 2013. However, until new episodes of a show air in 2013, I will keep the "old" Fall predictions in the table.
- - certain to be cancelled by May, 2013
- - more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2013
- - toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2013
- - more likely to be renewed than cancelled by May, 2013
- - certain to be renewed by May, 2013
The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show's new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It's calculated by dividing a show's new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 averageby the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show's own network. The network's average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
How would the Renew / Cancel Index Have Done Predicting Last Season's Scripted Show Fates? Check out how the Renew / Cancel Index predicted renewals and cancellations from past television seasons.