via press release:
Disney Channel Sweeps Total Day Across Kids 2-11, 6-11 and Tweens;
#1 for 24 Consecutive Months in Kids 6-11 and 36 Months in Tweens;
Nearly Doubles Nickelodeon in Tweens – Largest Competitive Edge Ever
~ Airs TV’s Top 12 Telecasts in Kids 2-11/Kids 6-11 and Top 14 in Tweens
~”Gravity Falls” is TV’s #1 Series Across Kids 2-11, Kids 6-11 and Tweens
Disney Junior Preschooler Block Delivers April Highs;
All-New “Sofia the First” is TV’s #1 Telecast in Kids 2-5
~ Block Owns Top 10 TV Telecasts of 2013 to Date in Kids 2-5 with “Sofia the First,”
“Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” and “Jake and the Never Land Pirates”
24-Hour Disney Junior Channel is the #1 Preschool Cable TV Network in First Month of Public Ratings; Doubles Nick Jr. and Triples Sprout Ratings
During April 2013, Disney Channel delivered a Total Day sweep across major youth demos, ranking as TV’s #1 network in Kids 2-11 (889,000/2.2 ), Kids 6-11 (562,000/2.4 rating) and Tweens 9-14 (498,000/2.1 rating). In fact, boasting its highest-rated April of all time, this marked the network’s 24th consecutive month at #1 in Kids 6-11 (dates back to May 2011) and for the 36th straight month in Tweens 9-14 (dates back to May 2010).
Moreover, Disney Channel nearly doubled Nickelodeon in Tweens 9-14 (+95% – vs. 255,000) – its biggest competitive advantage on record and fourth largest ever in Kids 6-11 (+44% – vs. 389,000). Further, this marked Disney Channel’s 22nd consecutive month recording double-digit victories.
In Prime, Disney Channel extended its streak as TV’s #1 network to 98 consecutive months in Kids 6-11 (975,000/4.1 rating) and to 94 months in Tweens 9-14 (856,000/3.6 rating), and was cable TV’s #2 network in Total Viewers (2.40 million), surpassing #3 entertainment network A&E by a considerable 19% (vs. 2.02 million).
- “Gravity Falls” was the month’s #1 TV series across Kids 2-11 (2.13 million/5.4 rating), Kids 6-11 (1.65 million/7.0 rating) and Tweens 9-14 (1.41 million/5.9 rating).
- Overall, led by “Jessie” in Kids 2-11 and Kids 6-11 and “Austin & Ally” in Tweens, Disney Channel held the month’s Top 12 TV telecasts in Kids 2-11/ Kids 6-11 and Top 14 in Tweens (Top 5 below):
Disney Junior on Disney Channel
Disney Junior, the daily programming block for kids age 2-7 on Disney Channel, recorded April highs in Girls 2-5 (277,000/3.5 rating) and Women 18-49 (324,000/0.5 rating), and saw its highest rated April in the daypart in Kids 2-5 (3.2 rating – tie).
- An all-new “Sofia the First” (4/12/13, 9:30 – 9:55 a.m.) ranked as TV’s #1 telecast in Kids 2-5 (1.30 million/8.1 rating) and Girls 2-5 (877,000/11.2 rating) and the #1 preschool cable TV telecast in Total Viewers (2.83 million) and Women 18-49 (557,000/0.9 rating).
- Additionally, “Sofia the First” stood as the month’s #1 TV series in Girls 2-5 (379,000/4.8 rating), and was the #1 preschool cable TV series in Total Viewers (1.88 million).
- Impressively, 2013 to date, the block accounts for the Top 10 TV telecasts in Kids 2-5 with multiple airings of “Sofia the First” and original episodes of “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” and “Jake and the Never Land Pirates”:
24- Hour Disney Junior Channel
In its first month of public ratings, 24-hour Disney Junior Channel ranked as the month’s #1 preschool cable TV network in Total Day in Total Viewers (358,000), Kids 2-5 (183,000/1.1 rating), Boys 2-5 (101,000/1.2 rating) and Women 18-49 (73,000), winning each week throughout the month in the target demos.
- Despite being in 23 million fewer homes, Disney Junior Channel topped Nick Jr. by double digits in target demos: by 14% in Total Viewers (358,000 vs. 315,000), by 17% in Kids 2-5 (183,000 vs. 157,000) and by 38% in Boys 2-5 (101,000 vs. 73,000).
- Disney Junior Channel exceeded Sprout by triple digits across the board: by 156% in Total Viewers (358,000 vs. 140,000), by 195% in Kids 2-5 (183,000 vs. 62,000), by 128% in Girls 2-5 (82,000 vs. 36,000), by 288% in Boys 2-5 (101,000 vs. 26,000) and by 115% in Women 18-49 (73,000 vs. 34,000).
About Disney Channel:
Disney Channel is a 24-hour kid-driven, family inclusive television network that taps into the world of kids and families through original series and movies. Currently available on basic cable in nearly 99 million U.S. homes and to millions of other viewers on Disney Channels around the world, Disney Channel is part of the Disney/ABC Television Group.
About Disney Junior:
Disney Junior reflects the emotional connection generations of consumers have to Disney storytelling and Disney characters, both classic and contemporary. It invites mom and dad to join their child in the Disney experience of magical, musical and heartfelt stories and characters, while incorporating specific learning and development themes designed for kids age 2-7. Disney Junior’s series blend Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and characters kids love deeply with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills. Disney Junior launched in February 2011 with a daily programming block on Disney Channel. In its first year, Disney Junior posted the network's biggest yearly audience in the daypart in Total Viewers, Kids 2-5, Boys 2-5 and Women 18-49, increasing by double-digit margins among preschooler demographics over year-ago levels. On March 23, 2012 Disney Junior added a cable and satellite channel in the U.S. Disney Junior channels in Japan, India and Disney Junior Portugal launched in fall 2012, bringing the total number of channels to 33 worldwide.
Source: NTI, U.S. ratings, most current, April 2013: 4/1/13-4/28/13; Total Day rank streaks include ties based on rating; K2-11/K6-11/TW9-14 series ranks based on trackage data with minimum 2 telecasts, sorted by 000s, then rating; K/B/G2-5, P2+, A/W 1849 series ranks based on program level data.