ABC to Air Special Episodes of ‘ABC World News and ‘Nightline’ Dedicated to Oklahoma Tornado Coverage
via press release:
“DIRECT HIT: TWISTER OUTBREAK”
ABC NEWS SPECIAL COVERAGE FROM OKLAHOMA
Diane Sawyer to Anchor a Special One-Hour Edition of “ABC World News” on Tuesday
ABC News to Air a Special Edition of “Nightline” Dedicated to Oklahoma Coverage
ABC News Radio to Broadcast a One-Hour Special Report Tuesday at 7:06 p.m., ET
ABC News continues to provide comprehensive coverage from Oklahoma, where a mammoth tornado carved a trail of destruction through the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. ABC News has a team of correspondents and anchors reporting from the scene for all broadcasts and platforms, including ABC News Anchor David Muir, ABC News Weather Editor Sam Champion, Meteorologist Ginger Zee, Chief National Correspondent Byron Pitts, Mike Boettcher, Cecilia Vega and Alex Perez. Boettcher has covered tornadoes in the Oklahoma area in the past; in May 1999 he reported on the historic EF-5 tornado that killed 42 people in the Oklahoma City area.
All ABC News broadcasts and platforms are delivering the latest information on the ongoing search and rescue operation, as well as the stories of those who experienced the devastating tornado. Programming details for Tuesday, May 21 below:
- “ABC World News with Diane Sawyer” will offer a special one-hour edition of the newscast to stations with reporting from ABC’s team of anchors and correspondents in Oklahoma.
- “Nightline” will air a special edition of the broadcast anchored by Cynthia McFadden dedicated to coverage of the aftermath. The program will feature reports from the ABC team on the scene.
- ABCNews.com has live updates here: http://abcn.ws/12J1ik0 and live-streaming coverage available at abcnews.go.com/live.
- ABC News Radio Correspondents Steven Portnoy and Jim Ryan are reporting from Oklahoma. ABC News Radio is providing four one-minute status reports each hour, and will broadcast a one-hour special report tonight at 7:06 p.m., ET.
- ABC NewsOne, the network’s affiliate news service, will provide coverage for nearly 200 ABC affiliates, stations and clients throughout the day with Correspondent Marci Gonzalez on the scene.
On Monday night “World News” provided live updates for each time zone with the latest information from the scene in Oklahoma (Watch). In late-night ABC News aired a special edition of “Nightline” anchored by Bill Weir dedicated to covering the developing story in Oklahoma (Watch).